page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Monday, April 18, 2011

Food and fertility

**Disclaimer:  I'm not a medical or dietary expert.  I don't have any double-blind, randomized controlled trials to support any of the info in the post.  I'm a scientific experiment with n=1.  ;)


A few years ago I listened to a talk given by Dr. Boyle, a NaPro physician from Ireland, on his observations connecting diet and fertility.  If you're interested, you can listen to it and view the slides here (it's the second one listed).  It's also a great overview of NaPro in general.

I was really intrigued by the concept that what you eat—or what you don't eat—can help improve fertility.  He talked about several of his infertile patients who did not become pregnant after exhausting all of the treatment options he offered.  These same patients made some changes in their diets and then conceived.  He tried to figure out what specific diet changes these women had in common and started to investigate various diets.  He wanted to give his other patients the option to adjust their diets in the hopes of improving fertility and immune function, and he settled on recommending gluten free (GF) and dairy free (DF), with these optional changes: no refined sugar, no legumes, less red meat, and more fish/chicken/fruits/vegetables.  I remember thinking that I could never live with a diet like that.  I love pasta.  I love bread.  I love milk.  I love cheese.  (the list goes on)  I was seriously impressed that there were women who would be willing to try such a diet—what a sacrifice!  But I was even more impressed that something as simple as diet could help a woman become pregnant.

Now I know he frequently uses food intolerance tests to determine what foods a woman should remove from her diet instead of necessarily recommending GF/DF for every patient.  That made sense to me:  eliminate only the foods you're intolerant to and see if it improves fertility.

Fascinating, right?  This was all great for my curious mind to learn, but it was purely academic and abstract.  There were "some" infertile women out there who needed to give up certain foods to conceive.  This didn't apply to the infertility clients I was working with at the time; they all ended up with successful pregnancies going the "traditional" NaPro route (no diet changes involved).

Then enter polkadot, the infertile.  Now the thought of giving up something as monumental as gluten wasn't seeming as impossible as before.  Before infertility, I did not quite understand the motivation you find once you're having difficulty conceiving.  Still, I was not going to rush into anything that meant I had to give up my beloved bread....and cake...and cookies...and ice cream.  ;)

At that point, we had been TTC for four months without success. After six months, you can start working with a NaPro doctor.  In the mean time, I wanted to do something that might help our fertility while we waited.  I think I was most impatient to conceive during those early months before I was even labeled as IF!  After learning a bit more from various sources, I decided to do my own experiment:  I would go GF/DF for a month.  In retrospect, adding a bunch of vitamins or supplements would have been a much easier experiment to do.  hahaha  However, I was convinced that going GF/DF had a fair possibility of being beneficial.  If I didn't become pregnant, then any change (vs. no change) in my chart would be the gauge of whether my experiment was having any effect.

DH was understandably skeptical.  I explained to him the reasons for thinking this was not a crazy experiment.  He reluctantly agreed that we'd try it for one month.  He wasn't about to change his diet, but he did a lot of the cooking so he would have to learn along with me.

I remember the night well; it was the week before Thanksgiving.  I would start my GF/DF diet the next day.  I am not normally so decisive or so quick to implement change.  For some reason, this was different.  Anyway, since it was such short notice for me, I wasn't prepared...at all.  Not my brightest hour.  hahaha  It was late so we didn't want to go to the grocery store that night.  Somehow I scraped together enough food to eat the next day.  Then I began the massive undertaking of learning what foods were okay and what weren't.  Grocery store trips were truly a group effort. :)  It took forever reading labels.  I threw mini tantrums when a perfectly good food would have one banned ingredient... ;)  I really should have done all of that research ahead of time and planned meals to eat.  Instead I just jumped in and hoped I wouldn't starve.  ;)  I don't recommend this approach at all!  hahaha

I was really not expecting what happened next.  I was hoping for either A) a pregnancy or B) zero change (so I could go back to happily eating all my favorite foods).  What I got was actually C) none of the above.

I think pictures convey it best.  Here's a typical cycle from my chart before any diet changes:


I had cervical mucus all day, every day.  Up until that point, I had used less than five green stamps (dry days) in several years of charting.  It was yellow stamps all. the. time.


Here's my chart the cycle when I started GF/DF (on day 9 of the cycle):


Look at those beautiful green stamps!!!!  I was practically giddy that I could use so many green stamps in the same cycle!  DH was as shocked as I was to see that.  Remember I said he was really skeptical at the diet change idea?  By the end of that first cycle, he emphatically said to me, "You need to stay GF/DF!"  Now I was secretly hoping to become pregnant after making these diet changes, which obviously didn't happen, but seeing how my chart changed really encouraged me.

Eventually I wanted to put a little more structure to the science experiment I was doing on myself, so I had food intolerance testing done.  Since I had eliminated gluten and dairy at the same time, I didn't know if it was one or the other or both which was causing my chart to improve.  While I was in the midst of the hormone profile last year (which meant frequent lab trips), I had the blood drawn for the food intolerance test during one of those visits to the lab.  Even though I knew Dr. Boyle only had his patients do testing with a smaller number of foods (~40), I ended up choosing the test panel with 100 foods because I suspected some specific foods that were in the larger panel.  Based on a few recurrent symptoms I had been tracking (headaches and stomach aches), I was pretty confident that dairy and either strawberries or bananas would be on the list.  I was hoping (really hard) that gluten was not on the list.

A few weeks later I received my results.  There was no way I could have been prepared for it.  DH opened the letter before I got home and called me to warn me that the list was longer that we thought...

Here's my list:

Severe intolerance:  beef, tea, sesame
Moderate:  chicken, turkey, potato, shrimp, tuna, banana, peanut, coffee, soy, gluten
Mild: strawberry, blueberry, grape, cherry, lamb, string bean, whey (dairy)

At first I was surprised at some of the foods on the list, especially the meats.  But then a light bulb turned on in my head...all of a sudden it made complete sense that those foods were on the list.  I frequently would have mild stomach aches after meals, and I had ALWAYS blamed it on either the food being too greasy (pizza, spaghetti, tacos, meatloaf, hamburgers, etc.) or that I simply ate too much (or, in the case of coffee or tea, drank too much at once).  Stomach ailments are common in our family, so I just figured I had a sensitive stomach or mild GERD or something similar.  After getting the results, I realized it wasn't the greasiness or the amount that was the problem; it was actually that my body was intolerant to the food itself.  That explained so much!  (And I realized that I had totally been in denial about how often I had a stomach ache...)

To help improve the food intolerance, I was supposed to completely avoid each food in the severe or moderate list for at least 3-6 months before attempting to reintroduce it.  I started the elimination diet gradually, and over time I have been able add back most of the foods on a limited basis.  The gluten and dairy intolerance are the exceptions...there's no schedule to add them back.

So will these diet changes improve my fertility?  I don't know, but they definitely made my chart look much better, so I am hopeful.  Aside from fertility, I don't get headaches or stomach aches from food anymore, which in itself is a happy ending for me and made my little experiment worthwhile.

16 comments:

  1. Really interesting! It is awesome to see such clear evidence of an improvement.

    I also took a 100 food allergy/sensitivity test at the end of last year for digestive reasons. To my amazement (or horror!?), I had a sensitivity to over 60 of the foods listed. My doctor asked me to eliminate them all for 3 months, but I have only been able to try to avoid them as much as possible, otherwise I am obsessing over food all day. It has been especially hard to eat out anywhere and avoid all of my sensitive foods. Because wheat and milk are two of my more prominent sensitivities, I have gone totally gluten-free in the last month or so, and will also go totally dairy free after the last bit of cheese is gone. Interestingly, I had the best post-ovulation temps ever this past month (I typically had dips post-ovulation, but my temp didn't dip at all). I have also added in some vitamin supplements, so maybe that may have had an impact.

    I am looking forward to hearing more about the impact the dietary changes has on your cycle. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Doesn't this make you feel so much better too?! It's one thing to hear that changing your diet will work, it's another to see it. Awesome:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow! I can't believe the meat thing. I would never imagine that someone could have a sensitivity to meats. But how great that you found these things out and that your charts are showing improvement! Now on to bigger and better things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I just went through the slides and there is a wealth of useful information. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to finish all my thoughts...

    This is a great post! Thanks for sharing your experiences and the Dr. Boyle links. I'm going to check them out now. My Napro dr. just ordered a food sensitivity test kit for me, and I can't wait to get my blood drawn and find out the results. I have a feeling I'll have a long list like yours. How do you even begin to eliminate all of those foods from your diet?

    It is encouraging to see how your chart changed. I'm like you...very few green stickers used each cycle, so it's great to see how the chart can be improved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's so neat that you actually got to see results from your changes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dont think I posted much on your blog- Hi!
    Thanks for this post- so informative!! I would love to get tested...do you know if insurance covers this? Is it just blood tests?
    thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nfpfertilityhelp - You had 60 foods? Wow!! And I thought my list was hard... :( I know one woman who had the test done and tried to re-introduce to her "banned" foods too quickly (after ~2 months elimination), and her symptoms got worse, so I knew I needed to be really diligent with this. So I did end up obsessing over food all day like you said... Even with my current limitations (GF/DF and no soy), eating out has been a disaster 2 out of the 3 times I tried, so I am not anxious to try again.

    Perfect Power in Weakness - By the time I got my results, I had already been GF/DF for a while, so that made the transition a lot easier. I staggered the start date for each food on my bad list to ease into it (over 3 weeks). I focused on the foods that I COULD still eat and began to plan meals around them. I started with pork and fish since we already ate them semi-regularly. I was forced to discover new foods I had never heard of before, especially GF grains (e.g. millet, quinoa) which I wasn't eating when I first started GF. With the fruits, it was just a matter of switching which ones we kept on hand. I spent a lot of time googling recipes too. A lot of time.

    St. Rita's Roses - I knew my insurance plan wouldn't cover the test so we just paid out of pocket, but I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask. Yes, it's just a blood test.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm not supposed to be jealous, but I must say, I completely am. My charts looked worse after my strict enforcement of the GF/CF diet :( And I can't help but compare myself to all those beautiful charts Dr Boyle displayed at the meeting, and now yours, too!!

    So frustrating :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fascinating!!! I suspect I have some intolerances too. I am already GF though. Sigh. I have cut back on dairy too. I am stunned at the meats!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm just finding your blog and this post really stood out to me. (Hopefully you get to see my comment since this post is a little old). I know that I have some type of wheat or gluten issue so I do a diet that is mostly wheat free but not gluten free. My Napro Doc in TN is newer and mentioned the whole food to fertility relationship however he is unaware of how to get testing or where to get testing done. Could you tell me if there is a specific lab that you used? Is it in the US or out of the country? I'd love to get the testing done and would be very curious about the results. Glad that you saw an improvement after going GF/DF!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm also seconding Aimee C's request ... where did you request the labwork done / sent? I'm interested in doing this testing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I did my testing through Al.cat. I knew of a local health/vitamin store that was a vendor, so I bought the kit directly from them. You can also order it from Alc.at. If you go through Alc.at directly, don't let them talk you into a more expensive test if you don't want it. ;) (I called them with questions beforehand, and they told me the test I wanted to order was for children and that adults need to have more foods tested...)

    After I had the kit, I took it to my local lab for the blood draw. The phlebotomist had to check with his boss first to make sure it was okay to let me take my blood out of the lab... I mailed it right afterward.

    Perfect Power in Weakness did her testing through US Bi.otek. See her blog for more info.

    This Cross I Embrace did the testing also, but I'm not sure what company she used.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)