Want to pretend you're a hematologist for a day? Want to show off your Dr. Google skills?
Let's play* "diagnose polkadot's clotting problem." I've already tried to do it, and I've come up with a range of possibilities from benign to scary, so I doubt you'll find something worse than I did.
Here's the data you have to work with:
INR - normal
CBC - normal
PT - normal
PTT - very slightly short
Factor VIII - elevated
vWF antigen - elevated
vWF activity - elevated
platelet function (two different assays) - both short closure times
What diagnosis explains these lab results? Anyone brave enough to try besides TCIE? ;)
*Sadly I have no fun prizes like holey soap if anyone comes up with the same answer as my hematologist. I will just be super impressed at your googling skills...and I have high standards when it comes to that.
My Factor VIII is elevated, too, so I don't think that's a huge issue. (Neither hematologist or Dr Kwak even mentioned it.)
ReplyDeleteBut the von Willebrand factor activity has me concerned. All I know about this I actually learned in Italian. LONG story, but my friend from college (a college where many people studied foreign languages) worked for a pharmaceutical research company, and had these interviews on new products with Drs all over the world. She needed me to translate the info from the interviews with the Italian Drs. It was for a new medication for von Willebrand (which I had not even heard of until then).
That coupled with the fact that your aPTT is slightly shorter than normal, your issue seems to be more along the lines of not clotting ENOUGH rather than clotting TOO MUCH. How that affects or will affect your health and fertility, I have absolutely no idea, but I cannot wait to see what your Dr says.
No idea whatsoever, but I have been seeing a hemotologist (sp) for the last 10 years as I am in remission from non-hodgkins lymphoma, but I never thought to ask him to check this kind of stuff related to infertility, or in my case miscarriage. I will see him again in Nov for my annual cancer check-up, maybe I could kill 2 birds with one stone and get him to check these things as well. I hope you get the answers you need! God Bless!
ReplyDelete