page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Thursday, September 16, 2010

The verdict on HCG

I found out the results of my lab tests from last cycle.  Dr. A wanted to see how my hormones were responding to the HCG injections, so he ordered some post-peak labs on three different days.  I was optimistic that the HCG was helping even before having the labs done.  Since starting HCG, my post-peak phase is about three days longer than before (not that it needed to be longer), my mood-related PMS symptoms are gone (oh, how DH loves that), and my post-peak mucus has nearly disappeared.  DH likes all this evidence that his injection-giving technique has been working; the HCG is getting where it needs to go—very reassuring for him.  Anyway, the labs say my progesterone is much improved since HCG, and estrogen looks good, too.  It's nice to have one problem solved!

Speaking of injections, DH is such a trooper in giving them to me.  I remember telling him after the first few failed TTC cycles, "You know the first treatment I'm going to get is HCG.  You know who gives the HCG injections, right?  The husband.  You know I wouldn't be able to do it."  His eyes got very wide, he shook his head, and he said he would never give me any injection.  Over time he softened a bit so by the time Dr. A actually ordered HCG, DH was willing to administer them.  (thank goodness!)  He was so nervous for the first one, bless his heart.  He had been trained by a nurse, we had general step-by-step written instructions from the clinic, and we had a random website I had discovered that went into great detail for each step.  (DH declined watching the how-to video on YouTu.be that I found...I think that would have made him more nervous.)  I had been told (and read) that the injection shouldn't really be painful at all—just a quick stick.  I suppose that is true if the injection giver is experienced, but for a newbie like DH, perhaps not.  There was some definite offering up of some burning pain that first cycle...  ;)  I swear one time DH rested the needle on my skin and slowly pushed it downward.  I don't recommend that technique.  DH did get the hang of the dart-like motion eventually, and the rest have been pretty much pain-free.  If at some point we get pregnant, I will likely need progesterone injections, which make the HCG ones look like a walk in the park.  For now, I am very thankful for HCG.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. :)