page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Friday, May 16, 2014

Debriefing

1.  Did you all survive Mother's Day okay?  I didn't e-mail our pastor ahead of time asking for sensitivity to IF with an alternative blessing that would include IF and miscarriage or an intercession mentioning IF like others were doing at their parishes.  I thought I'd take my chances going to Mass on Saturday hoping that it would be less mother-focused.  We have new priests since last Mother's Day, so I had no precedent to go by.  (The previous priests kept the Mother's Day references to a minimum and did not do a blessing of mothers.)  My plan backfired.  The priest, who was ordained last year and probably has a lot of new-priest zeal, did his best to infuse Mother's Day into every part of the Mass possible.  By communion time, I hadn't shed a tear or even had the urge to cry, so I thought I was doing pretty well.  When I returned to the pew and heard the line in the song ("when we have run with patience the race") that usually makes me cry because it reminds me how long IF has been and how long it might be yet, I lost it and started sobbing—the kind where your whole body shakes and people might be able to hear you.  I tried to stop, but there was nothing to do except try to think of people to pray for and let the tears come until my tear ducts were empty.  (I swear I have gallon-sized tear ducts.)  By the time everyone sat down, I had calmed down, and the tears were down to a slow trickle.  I noticed the wood of the pew in front of me was quite wet...  The priest then asked mothers to stand for a blessing, and under my breath I said, "Please, no..." and the tears picked up again.  I think he was trying to include more people because he said all "past mothers, current mothers, and future mothers" should stand.  I don't know if by "future mother" he meant those who are pregnant?  I'd like to hope I'm a non-pregnant "future mother" but I didn't stand.  His blessing wasn't really a blessing, but three different prayer intentions—for those whose mothers have died, for mothers who have lost a child, and for mothers of living children—so there was really no need for the standing.  I'm glad he acknowledged two groups who would find Mother's Day to be a sad day, but I'm not surprised there was no mention of those who long to be (physical) mothers.  I would guess that to a non-IFer, loss of a dream isn't on the same radar screen as loss of a real person.

Despite a not-so-great start to Mother's Day a day earlier, I spent a quiet day at home on Sunday with DH and tried my best to forget what day it was.

2.  Two very sweet friends sent me messages saying they were praying for me on Mother's Day.  Both were told prior to marriage that they would likely never hold a biological child in their arms, so they knew the pain of IF.  One recently gave birth and the other is pregnant and due in a few months despite doctors' predictions, so the fact that they still thought of me and other childless wives on Mother's Day was a nice consolation.  A couple of my mom friends posted an article on FB about remembering IFers and single women on Mother's Day, so the day wasn't all bad.  ;)

3.  I haven't cried that hard (see #1) in a long time.  AF is here, and there have been no tears.  Last cycle I think there weren't tears until CD4, and that was only because of some trigger like a cascade of pregnancy and birth announcements in rapid succession.  (Why do they come in groups??)  I actually think it has been months since I've cried on CD1, which is not at all how I used to handle CD1.  Either I'm all scarred inside and attempting to numb the pain or I'm learning to accept not being pregnant.  I suppose it could be partially a third option as well—I've given up thinking we'll get pregnant; if I don't get my hopes up during the 2ww, then there's less disappointment when AF shows up because I just know she's coming.  And I don't do it on purpose in an attempt to make CD1 easier; I truly don't have (much) hope about pregnancy anymore.  If God wants to surprise me, that would be fabulous, but at the moment He'd have to do it without any optimism on my part.  (totally within His purview, of course)  ;)

4.  It looks like, from my non-expert eye anyway, that we might have had an effective cycle (where everything is treated/fixed) last cycle.  I'm not excited about one incidence of spotting that happened around ovulation time because, in the past, I've only had that in cycles were I also had endo.  All mid-cycle spotting disappeared immediately after both of my surgeries.  Coincidence?  I hope so.  My periods aren't painful so that is encouraging.  But I am getting a little nervous because it was at this time point after my first surgery (about 15 months) that my periods became painful again.  It's been 15 months since my second surgery.  I really, really don't want a third one.  Right now probably the only thing that would convince me to have a third surgery is unbearable pain; fixing our IF doesn't seem like it would be enough of a reason anymore.  I am hoping and praying something we've done after the second surgery (diet or medicine) is going to help keep the endo away for longer, or dare I say it, permanently...

5.  So now we're on to (hopefully) effective cycle #2.  I am very curious to see if the TEBB stays away again this cycle.  That would be a record for me—two cycles in a row!

6.  I have an appointment with an endocrinologist next week to find out the significance of my diffusely enlarged pituitary.  I hope it doesn't require a pint of my blood to figure out what other havoc my pituitary may be causing besides the elevated prolactin.  :P

9 comments:

  1. Ugh... that bothers me so much (about the priest infusing mother's day all throughout Mass)--Mother's day is *not* a religious holiday, its not on the liturgical calendar. So sorry you had to deal with that :-(

    Prayers for you, that the endo isn't returning and that this really is an effective cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what you mean about not hoping, at least too much. But if I don't hope at all, I have a hard time motivating myself to try, and even though technically you could get pregnant without sex, I think it's a lot easier for Him if we do our part. So then that leaves me trying to hope enough to try but not so much that it hurts like mad. Prayers that the TEBB stays away and that you don't need surgery again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We feel your pain... Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I was going to email you because I think we have the same doctor, but I couldn't get the email link on your blog to work. Anyway, I hear you with the Mother's Day blessing. Do you think there is an opportunity to let your parish know (anonymous or not) that there is a group being excluded unintentionally? (My email is halffullofgrace--at--gmail--dot--com if you'd like to connect.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That mass would have been sooooooo tough for me!!! Sad you had to go through that. I understand what you mean about not having hope for pregnancy. While I feel like mine is gone, I still feel left behind and sad on CD1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry Mother's Day was so tough. It was definitely no picnic for me, either(I was just glad to have made it out the door before the real tears started. I was praying for you and all with IF, though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you suffered during the Mass - I wish the priest would have included more women or a general blessing.
    I am hoping your TEBB stays away this cycle - many prayers for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh. That Mass. I'm so sorry to hear that. Your absolutely right that Mother's and Father's Days are NOT religious holidays. I think it's nice of them to make mention of it, but not to fill the whole Mass with Mother's Day this and Father's Day that. The part where the have all the moms or dads stand is always the worst. Sigh. I'm so sorry you had to go through that.

    I'm with you on needing pg to just be a surprise at this point, because I'm losing hope quickly. It's MUCH more likely for me to get a BFN than a BFP, so even when the craziest symptoms present themselves, I try my best not to get my hopes up and assume the worst. When I'm right, it doesn't hurt as much, and the fits of crying are pretty far and few between now. Is it sad that I've given up hope? I just need to guard my heart, ya know?

    Prayers as you TTC for your 2nd ever effective cycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping that since it was my school's First Communion on Mother's Day that there would be no mention, but there were PLENTY!!!! I was happy to be distracted by an extra fidgety kid during the blessing. I wish that there was a drug that all of us IF chicks could take so we could all avoid Mother's Day.

    I continue to pray for you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)