Hopefully in the next few days I will be able to have an MRI of my head. They're looking for a brain tumor.
I'm not joking.
It's not as bad as it sounds though. If they find one, the brain tumor should be benign. But still, no one wants a brain tumor.
How did this happen, you ask? Well, Dr. K's nurse called me today. I thought it was strange to see the PPVI number appear on my phone because they rarely call for a cycle review; they prefer e-mail. For my P+7 blood draw, they were going to measure prolactin in addition to the usual progesterone and estradiol. The nurse asked me if I had been fasting for 12 hours prior to the blood draw, which was required for the prolactin. Yes, I was fasting. She asked if I had avoided the other things I was asked to avoid (sex, exercise, and nipple stimulation). Yes, I did avoid those things.
Then she took a deep breath and said my prolactin was elevated. I asked what the value was. She said it was 62. (whoa...my jaw was on the floor...that's not normal...normal range ends around 25) She added that when Dr. K saw that value, she did not believe it. So they double checked that it was my blood and then she had the lab run it again. The second time it was 59.2. That meant it truly was elevated.
The nurse said she'd have to relay my answers to Dr. K and find out what the plan was. She promised to call back tomorrow. I had an e-mail in my inbox within half an hour. I was expecting it to tell me that they had called in a prescription to my pharmacy for a medication to decrease prolactin. There was no new medication mentioned. Instead, there was an attached order to get an MRI of my head. I guess I knew it was a possibility (I didn't know how high the prolactin level had to be before a doctor orders an MRI), but I didn't expect it so soon. When prolactin is elevated, they do an MRI to check if there's a prolactinoma, a benign tumor that produces the extra prolactin.
I was wondering how much of an effect a prolactin level around 60 would have on fertility. Cue Dr. Google. One site I found said that levels in the range of 25-50 "may" decrease overall fertility, and levels in the range of 50-100 "significantly" decrease fertility and may cause irregular cycles. Significantly decreased fertility...wow. In reading that, I actually felt a little optimistic that if we could reduce my prolactin level with medication, we might have a chance at conceiving...if—and that's a big if—the antibiotic can do it's job for a while longer (which is questionable, at best) and if there aren't other things we have yet to discover that need fixing. Since prolactin can inhibit ovulation, who knows if I have even been ovulating? My ultrasound series that showed I ovulated was two years ago. If I'm not ovulating, my body is sure doing a good job at pretending that I do—my mucus, cycle, and hormones are all normal looking.
After I read the e-mail with the MRI order and explained it to DH, this conversation happened:
Me: Whom did you marry?
DH: A walking disaster. But I still love you.
(you need a little humor in this kind of situation) :)
I'm trying not to be nervous, but I'm nervous. I'll call in the morning to make the appointment for the MRI.
. . .
Friday update: No MRI for at least a week. The next openings in the schedule are next Friday. Plus my insurance has to preauthorize it first. Now I have to try to not think about it for a week... :P
I am so sorry to hear this C! Will be praying for you. I just hope that the MRI results will be normal. What an added stress for you but praying for God's peace.
ReplyDeleteSorry to hear this! Scary! But if it just is the prolactin I have seen some good things happen with lowering it. :)
ReplyDeleteI hope it goes well. That sounds a little scary, but your in good hands and thankfully they are monitoring it.
ReplyDeletePraying
ReplyDeleteOh my--I'd be nervous too. Praying for you!
ReplyDeleteOh wow! That is huge. Praying the MRI is clear and meds can lower your prolactin level.
ReplyDeletePraying for you! A friend told me that he recently found out the reason for his sisters IF was because they found a small benign tumor on or around her pituitary gland. I am praying they are able to lower your levels and that you have peace whatever happens!
ReplyDeletePraying! Praise God for good doctors!
ReplyDeletei may be mistaken, but weren't you on something to lower prolactin? maybe i just read you had high prolactin. anyway, finding a SOURCE for it, wow. really hoping its extremely benign. and god bless your sense of humor, man, you guys have been through the ringer.
ReplyDeleteincidentally, i had high prolactin before sam, and was on parladel to reduce it when we conceived. another huge reason that i keep telling myself that i can't count any cycles while breastfeeding (though there have been 15...guess i just showed my cards ;) ) as "trying", since for me, its definitely an issue. praying for results and that you stay still during the MRI :)
No, I wasn't on anything to decrease prolactin, unless you count the vitamin B6 I was taking to increase mucus; B6 can also decrease prolactin. The only other time I had prolactin measured (three years ago) it was at the high end of the normal range, so my doctor at that time didn't prescribe anything for it.
DeleteI'm sitting here stunned and overwhelmed for you. Benign is good. The rest - just. so. much.
ReplyDeleteMany many many prayers coming your way!
Whoa! I hope they figure this out soon, and I'll be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteFirst of all, totally praying for you! Second of all, I am with you. If there is a cause you are find that can be fixed...who knows?! Yay for that bit of good news! And while it wasn't my brain, I had a tumor in my eye muscle tissue that was benign and removed during an eye muscle (lazy eye) surgery. I didn't know it was there until it was gone. Hoping it is like that for you!
ReplyDeleteAre they looking for the tumor on your pituitary gland?
ReplyDeleteScary....Benign or not....
Yes, on the pituitary gland
DeleteMy SIL had a benign tumor on her pituitary gland (I think), though I don't think increased prolactin was part of her symptoms (her primary symptom was migraines). I do know that she had surgery to remove the tumor shortly before I had ankle surgery, and her recovery was shorter than mine (due to the fact that they were able to go in through the nasal cavity rather than cut into the skull)! She has had hormonal imbalances since the tumor was removed, though she and my brother were able to conceive with the aid of injectable meds. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!
ReplyDeleteWow... praying! I know of at least one couple who conceived after they lowered her elevated prolactin levels.
ReplyDeletePraying for you!!!!
ReplyDeletePraying for you! Tumors and possible tumors are unnerving at best. Prolactin levels - wow! Yes to prayers! -January
ReplyDeletePraying!
ReplyDelete