This is our second cycle with Clomid. I'm on a low dose: 25mg on CD3-5. It is definitely having an effect. My mucus this cycle was not quite as good as my normal non-Clomid cycles, but it still scored in the normal range. The big effect is on my hormone levels! For the past few cycles before Clomid, these were my P+7 results:
Estradiol 9.1 - 12.7 (normal is >12)
Progesterone 20.6 - 24.2 (normal is >13)
During my first Clomid cycle:
Estradiol 19.2
Progesterone 49.9
Wow. A little Clomid is doing big things. :)
I will admit I sorta thought I was pregnant last cycle. Oh, you post-peak symptoms that mimic early pregnancy symptoms, how you mess with my sanity. ;) I had some brief, localized abdominal pain on and off on P+8 and P+9, which I wondered if it could be implantation cramps. It was similar to Mittelschmerz. I've never had an ovarian cyst but I assumed that pain would have been worse and lasted longer. I was living in my daydream that I could be pregnant, so no one could have convinced me it was a cyst. ;) And I swear my breast tenderness was worse than previous cycles. You know how it is when you've convinced yourself you could be pregnant... Alas, it was not to be.
So while everything is looking good with my hormones, I still have that pesky TEBB. If I'm not pregnant this cycle, Dr. K is recommending 10 days of IV antibiotics (clindamycin). When I first heard this, I pictured myself attached to a pole for a week and a half. The nurse said I'd be attached to a box, not a pole, which sounds like the size of a shoe box but varies by manufacturer. (Anyone had IV antibiotics before?) A home health nurse would come to place the IV and teach me how to change the bag. It's likely that I will need to find a doctor in my state to prescribe this because most of the time they don't accept out-of-state prescriptions. There are a few NaPro medical consultants in my state, so I might have to schedule a visit with one to become an established patient. I'll probably have to call them first to make sure they are willing to prescribe IV antibiotics for TEBB before making the appointment; not all NaPro doctors are necessarily comfortable with this, even though they should be at least familiar with this particular PPVI protocol because it's been in place for a long time. The nurse said they tend to have good success with the IV antibiotic in eliminating TEBB, but I didn't ask her to quantify what "good" meant.
I did ask if it would be an option to take the antibiotic orally instead of via IV. She said too many people get C. diff infections after the oral antibiotic that they don't prescribe it that way. (C. difficile is a really bad infection...)
I asked if DH would be treated also (since an infection can be passed back and forth between spouses); he's been treated with oral antibiotics every time I've been on them. She said for this one they don't treat the husband, probably for practical purposes. They may in the future if their research indicated it, but so far they don't.
What is interesting is that the nurse, who has been at PPVI for almost a decade, said that it's really been in the last year or so that Dr. H and Dr. K have been investigating more closely the link between infection and IF, and they are realizing that they are just hitting the tip of the iceberg, so lots more research has to be done. At least future IFers will be able to benefit from their research. :)
Post-peak symptoms that resemble pregnancy are not fair! I get all the reasons for it, but it's hard to convince myself of those reasons when I'm 2wwing.
ReplyDeleteSending prayers that round 2 of chlomid is the last piece to your puzzle and that there is no need for IV anything!
Good Luck with Clomid Cycle 2
ReplyDeleteHopefully you don't need those IV meds at all! I did have a home health nurse come once, but I ended up having to go back to the hospital anyway, so she only came for a day. Prayers that the clomid does the trick!!
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed at the effect that Clomid has on my hormones too! I didn't take it for one cycle and my levels were so much lower. I'm also glad that I'm not getting the crazy mood swings, although I just took it yesterday so there is still time for the crazies.
ReplyDeleteI'm curious to see how your TEBB is going to be treated. I have a tiny bit at the end of every cycle, but my local doc isn't concerned. I sent my chart to Omaha for a cycle review so we'll see what they say.
Continued prayers!
I have done the 10 day IV and have some specific posts as to the details re home health just for this purpose. It is not that bad. Clomid CD3-5 worked for me, 25 mg. Honestly, I don't think you want to be preg with tEBB, it caused my miscarriages and for some they can be very late ones, it all depnds on severity. I was the 3rd person Dr. H did the abx route back in 2008, he has come far since then. DH does need 21 days of orals if he hasn't had already, and we do 10 days each cycle actively ttc. Email me once you read the related posts, I will help you with all I can.
ReplyDeleteI have done the 10 day IV and have some specific posts as to the details re home health just for this purpose. It is not that bad. Clomid CD3-5 worked for me, 25 mg. Honestly, I don't think you want to be preg with tEBB, it caused my miscarriages and for some they can be very late ones, it all depnds on severity. I was the 3rd person Dr. H did the abx route back in 2008, he has come far since then. DH does need 21 days of orals if he hasn't had already, and we do 10 days each cycle actively ttc. Email me once you read the related posts, I will help you with all I can.
ReplyDeleteI have done the 10 day IV and have some specific posts as to the details re home health just for this purpose. It is not that bad. Clomid CD3-5 worked for me, 25 mg. Honestly, I don't think you want to be preg with tEBB, it caused my miscarriages and for some they can be very late ones, it all depnds on severity. I was the 3rd person Dr. H did the abx route back in 2008, he has come far since then. DH does need 21 days of orals if he hasn't had already, and we do 10 days each cycle actively ttc. Email me once you read the related posts, I will help you with all I can.
ReplyDeleteYou know what, Dr. K recommend I do the same 10 day IV of Cleocin(sp?). I was afraid of the same thing ... Being hooked up to stuff, etc. and I wasn't sure when to do it, how it would work with work, etc. I knew Wheelbarrow Rider had done it, but wasn't sure if there was anyone else. Do you think you will do it? I'm still a little undecided. I think I will, but just not sure of the timing.
ReplyDeleteEwww C Diff...hoping all the variables line up for you!
ReplyDeleteI was just thinking of you so I thought I'd post. Hope all is going well!
ReplyDelete