page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Saturday, August 28, 2010

The 2WW

I remember my first 2WW (two-week wait).  Oh, how sweet and innocent I was.  I was on cloud nine pretty much the whole time.  I was constantly praising God for everything, especially opening DH's heart to TTC.  I had so much hope—a hope that fully expected to be fulfilled.  (Having a 76% chance* of conceiving in the first cycle seemed like pretty good odds to me.)  About halfway into the 2WW, I started spotting.  I had never ever been so excited to see spotting.  "Implantation bleeding," I thought, "right on time."  I diligently kept track of other early pregnancy symptoms.  Toward the end it took a lot of willpower not to take a pregnancy test.  (But I was bound and determined not to test until P+17...no false negatives for me.)  I never quite made it to P+17.  I was crushed.

The second cycle I had 2WW amnesia, I think.  I let my hopes get just about as high as they were the previous cycle, not remembering how much the disappointment hurt when AF came.  Lots of people don't conceive on the first try, I told myself.  If 90% of couples* conceive by the third cycle, there's no need to worry.  Yet I still cried when AF showed up.

Since then my attitude during the 2WW has gradually shifted towards self-preservation: "I'd love to be surprised by pregnancy this cycle, but I'm not really expecting it to happen now."  Change in expectations means less disappointment, right?  Of course, there is always a tiny voice in the back of my mind thinking, "This could be the cycle!"  (This is followed by, "God, could this be the cycle?")  I try not to dwell on it until the end of the 2WW.  I actually look forward to the first week after ovulation.  No more pressure to use certain days.  Either I'm pregnant or I'm not—there is no way to tell, and nothing more can be done at that point (aside from trying to boost progesterone).  It's a nice little emotional break...provided PMS stays away.

But then there's the second week of the 2WW.  Just as I'm starting to mentally relax, I notice what could be an early sign of pregnancy.  Let the mind games begin.  Here's a little peek inside my head:

Fatigue:  Wow, I can barely keep my eyes open.  I really need a nap.  Ooooh, could I be pregnant?  Or might it have something to do with not getting enough sleep the last three nights?  Or perhaps it was that lunch I had an hour or two ago full of carbs—my blood glucose probably just took a nose-dive...I suppose that's it.  Doesn't everyone feel tired mid-afternoon?  But I didn't feel this tired yesterday...hmmm...

Breast tenderness:  I think they're a bit sore.  Am I imagining it?  Hard to tell.  Maybe I'm checking too often so that's why they're sore.  Oh, it's just another PMS symptom.  But taking HCG has eliminated my other PMS symptoms...and I never noticed it before TTC, so maybe I'm pregnant?  Well, I guess I really never paid attention to it before TTC...

Urinary frequency:  I have to go to the bathroom again?  Really?  It's only been an hour since the last time. (grumble)  Maybe this is pregnancy!  No, it's just those ten glasses of water I had today—I did drink more than usual.  Well, at least my kidneys are working.  But I've had that much water before and never had to go this often...

Nausea:  My stomach hurts.  It's not heartburn.  Ooooh, it's really nausea.  This is unusual for me.  It must be that I'm pregnant.  Or could it be related to eating way too much homemade ice cream approximately an hour ago?  I wonder.  But this really feels different from the past when I've eaten too much at once...

Vomiting (only twice since TTC):  I threw up.  First thing in the morning.  It's morning sickness!  Wait, maybe I'm just super nervous about that big meeting at work today.  Or it's because I am up much earlier than normal and haven't eaten yet...but, it's not THAT early, really...

Toilet paper status:  Is that spot red? (after scrutinizing the TP very closely for two minutes...)  No.  Great!  Is it brown?  Wellllllll....maybe?  Oh, it's just not the best lighting in here.  That's why I can't tell.  I should check again to be sure.  It's not really brown.  Maybe the urine is dark because it's concentrated, and it just sort of appears brown.  Or almost brown.  Does that count?  But even if it is brown, it could be implantation spotting.  (five minutes later...)  Oh, I felt something—is that my period starting?  I better go check again...  God, your will be done.  (Are infertiles the only ones to pray before going into the bathroom?)

ETA of AF:  Today is peak + ___ (insert number 13 or higher).  AF could possibly start today.  I should wear a pad just in case.  Oh, but this cycle could be the one.  Yeah, but it would be really bad if AF came today and I weren't prepared.  Fine, I'll wear a pad.  And I'll put three tampons in my purse.  But that doesn't mean AF WILL start...maybe I'll get to the end of the day and find out I didn't need one after all.  That would be nice.

Once upon a time I kept track of (i.e., wrote down) each and every symptom I observed during the 2WW.  (I wanted to be able to answer the CrMS pregnancy evaluation questions accurately.)  At some point a few months ago it became too difficult to constantly focus on them, so I stopped.  Now, if they happen, they happen.  No big deal, right?.  Except I still have those little dialogues in my head whenever I notice one or more of the symptoms.  I guess that hope is still there.  I hope it doesn't drive me crazy.


*couples with normal fertility using CrMS to conceive

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, I'm sorry you are in yet another 2WW mental war. I pray this is your last one for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to keep track of all those symptoms, too! I have them saved on my computer still, I think.
    I loved the question, are infertiles the only ones who pray before they go to the bathroom? Haha, so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way!!! At least if it drives you crazy, it will drive me crazy too, and then we can be crazies together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Understood! How can you not think about these things! It totally takes over your every thought and it is sooooo annoying when you find out you are wrong! Ugh. Hang in there and I'll be crazy with you ladies;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Polkadot! Thank you for the comment on my blog and welcome to the blogosphere. I appreciate all the tips and advice I can get about going gluten free. The last week has been a bit crazy, but hopefully each day will get better. I tried baking a couple of GF items this weekend - brownies and pancakes and both turned out GREAT! (Granted both were from a mix - I don't think I could do the whole mixing thing right now, but thanks for the recommendations). Have a great rest of the week and looks like we are both in the 2ww. I hope and pray it turns out well for both of us! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I just found your blog and started reading your older posts. The toilet paper status had me laughing out loud. I'm the same way!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)