page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Distractions from IF

What a month and a half it has been.  It all started with an ER visit due to the worst pain I’ve felt in my life.  Several doctor visits, tests, procedures, and some prescription medication followed.  I have some lovely new pictures of my insides to add to my collection from my laparoscopy.  Everything turned out to be normal except a small hernia, which the doctor shrugged off and said we don’t have to do anything about.  The hernia doesn’t explain the pain I had, so some of the procedures may be repeated at a future date if the pain ever returns.  So far, that pain was just a one-day occurrence.

What compounded things a bit was that my body did not react kindly to the cocktail of medications I was taking.  Shortly after starting the above-mentioned prescription for a problem the ER doctor assumed I had, I started the antibiotic Flagyl to possibly combat my TEBB.  Meanwhile, I had been slowly increasing my naltrexone dose under Dr. K’s direction to reach the usual dose they prescribe for PMS.  Managing to take all the pills at the right times was the easy part (surprisingly).  One medication was to be taken twice a day with a meal, another was not to be taken within an hour of eating (twice a day), and the third taken four times a day.  (This excluded my T3, which is taken every 12 hours on an empty stomach, and the probiotic, which was not to be taken within 2 hours of the antibiotic, but prior to eating.)  The hard part was dealing with the nausea and vomiting that resulted.  It became pretty predictable at night.  Naltrexone anytime after 6 PM plus either of the two new meds within hours of each other resulted in my GI system declaring war.  When it got bad enough that I couldn’t think straight, I would be reduced to tears.  I admit I’m pretty weak when it comes to that... No amount of eating after dinner would prevent or lessen the nausea (but it would give me heartburn so I slept on the couch in a sitting position several nights).  Sometimes it would return after I had fallen asleep, and I’d go sit on the bathroom floor in the middle of the night until my stomach decided it was empty enough.  If my experience is similar to what happens during pregnancy, I have a new profound respect of what women go through.  I even tried to imagine that I was pregnant (I wasn’t, of course) to try to make dealing it better, but that didn’t help. 

I spoke with Dr. K’s nurse several times.  She said my side effects were really unusual for naltrexone; most women have no side effects and actually feel great.  She thought that my hernia was further exacerbating the medication interactions.  (She also informed me that it would cause extra nausea and heartburn during any future pregnancy on top of what is normal for pregnancy.)  She gave me suggestions on how to try to reduce the side effects, including lowering the naltrexone, which helped sometimes.  I ended up just sticking it out since the antibiotic was almost gone, and I was tapering off of the other prescribed medication from the ER visit (which was deemed unnecessary after all the tests).  Just a few days ago, when I was down to only naltrexone and T3, all my side effects disappeared.   In fact, I felt great.  Fabulous even.  It kind of feels like the small high you get after exercising.  Or like the time right around ovulation where you feel extra motivated to get things done.  So this is how naltrexone is supposed to work.  I love my naltrexone now.  :)  I’m really looking forward to post-peak this cycle to see if my PMS is gone.  And I’m almost to the point where I can take non-compounded naltrexone just once a day (easier than four times a day and cheaper hopefully).  I’m at 32 mg (compounded) per day now.  The end goal is 50 mg (non-compounded) per day.  Things are looking up!  :)

So after DH and I took the Flagyl simultaneously, there has been no change in my TEBB.  Bummer. I wonder if they’ll try a different antibiotic next.  Maybe Biaxin?  I know that worked for one of my clients to get rid of her TEBB.

This whole series of events took my mind completely off of IF (and blogging and even reading blogs) for quite a while.  I missed everyone and have some catching up to do!

We’re thinking seriously about doing the ultrasound series to monitor ovulation in January.  PPVI said it would be best if DH could come along so we could TTC, but right now we’re just planning to have me go alone.  It may be possible for DH to come for a couple days, but we won’t know that until the last minute because of his work schedule.  I am looking forward to learning if my ovaries are doing their job!

13 comments:

  1. Oh man I am sorry to hear that. I can deal with pain. I have stabbed myself with needles many times. But the one thing I cannot deal with is nausea. It is the fact that you are held hostage and you do not know when it will happen. I am sorry you had to go through that. I take Biaxin for my TEBB and it works, so I am hoping it works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that episode is all over. You are amazing for being able to stick it out! Welcome back- I missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack! Pain of any sort isn't fun!

    I had a little bit of a headache as I increased my dose of LDN way back in the early days of Napro. I felt a bit of nausea, but nothing like you're describing.

    Continued prayers for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was that darn Flagyl! It did the same thing to me when I took it. I hated it so so much!!!! SO glad you are done with it.

    If you come to Omaha in January maybe we can meet up! I don't live there anymore but am only a few hours away...I can make the trip provided the weather's okay (with Nebraska in January you just never know what you are going to get!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! What a month you've had. Glad all the junk is behind you and now you're back! Hoping you get to the bottom of the TEBB!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh. My. Goodness. You are my hero. I can't even believe you stuck it out! I am a total wimp when it comes to throwing up. Btw, this sounds like how my twin sister feels when pregnant, and for her it lasts up to 5 months (which is why she is understandably afraid of pregnancy).

    I hope you figure out the TEBB (but thank goodness, no more Flagyl), and I am glad you are benefiting so much from the naltrexone and T3 combo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Flagyl is a nasty one! I can totally relate to the horrible nausea. I was on Cipro awhile back and got dizziness, cold sweats and was throwing up until there was nothing left. It didn't do the trick for my GBS, so we're letting it go for now. Glad you're feeling better!

    -Ania

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow,what a horrible ordeal. I am glad you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, you have had a heck of a month!! Flagyl is an evil drug!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh! How horrible ... And for SO long!!! I'm so sorry for all the pain you've been in. It wears you down so much. I'll be praying that you can get these drugs to cooperate with you. It's really stinks being that 5% who has a side effect.
    Btw, hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing got rid of my TEBB. Nothing.

    I am so sorry you had to deal with all of that!!
    I will say, I vomited three times while taking 25mgs of Naltrexone. Also got headaches and one migraine from hell. Since coming off, no nausea and no migraines. I don't think it's a coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I take 50 mg of HDN (Naltrexone) at noon every day, and tolderate that pretty well. I take 4.5 mg compounded @ night.

    But the true evil is Flagyl. I am on it (again, for my also persistent TEBB) on CD 1-10 for the next three cycles, PLUS Biaxin. Seriously, if this doesn't get Ed of my TEBB (up to 15 days worth, or until P), then I give up.

    Glad you're done with the Flagyl. And DO persist with the Naltrexone! I had to experiment with WHEN to take it, so as not to feel buzzy or spunky or sick. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry about the weird typos. Stupid autocorrect!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)