page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Monday, April 29, 2013

IF girl goes to confession

I brace myself a bit before going to confession. Not because I dislike going (though there is the usual internal wince beforehand at the thought of telling my major faults to someone else), but because I'm going to bring up my infertility in context, and I don't know how the priest will respond. Priests are people too. They may or may not have more experience than the average person with an infertile girl. I have heard quite a range of comments in the confessional from pearls of wisdom to platitudes to comments that leave me speechless with my mouth hanging open. ("Did he really just say THAT?")

I usually go in hoping the priest decides to focus his counsel on my sins (and that fact that some of them stem from this suffering I am going through) and not try to give me advice specifically about infertility. I assume a priest would have a lot of experience in counseling someone who is suffering and sinning at the same time. The majority of the time, I am grateful for the advice and direction the priest gives me, but there have been a couple times that were not so edifying.

Here are some of the more memorable things priests have said to me during confession over the past few years.


Priest:  I bet by this time next year you'll have a child.

At that point we had not conceived in nine cycles of TTC.  (I could pinpoint the date because it's a parish we go to once a year, and I remember the priest specifically.)  Since it was early in our IF days, the priest might have been thinking that the odds were on his side (well, DH and my side) that we'd get pregnant within the next year.  Although if he meant that we'd be holding a child within a year, that only left three months to get pregnant, and that's a pretty small window.  Anyway...the priest was very kind and had a gentle tone, so I remember giving him a half smile and nodding along with him.  He just sounded so reassuring that this would be a very temporary situation.  As soon as I left, I snapped out of the happy daze I was in.  I wondered what had come over me that I believed him or that him saying that was in any way helpful...  It wasn't helpful.  He had no way of knowing the medical issues that were (and are still) preventing us from conceiving or how difficult they would be to treat.

Priest:  You just have to be patient.

Ah, patience.  That seems to the be the default answer for everything.  Oh, you're suffering?  Just be patient, and it'll go away eventually.  For many things, that might be true, but what if we never conceive?  Is the priest implying I should be patient until death?  He probably said that because he didn't know what else to say and wanted to say something of comfort.  I really dislike platitudes about IF...

I guess it was the way it was phrased that rubbed me the wrong way.  I know patience is so important in general and for IF specifically.  I have had other priests tell me to pray for patience, which I have been doing for a while, and it didn't bother me when they gave me that advice.

Priest: Would you describe yourself as an uptight person?
Me: ?
Priest:  I think you just need to relax [and then you'll get pregnant].

First, let me say that after hearing a list of a person's sins, I can see how it might be a bit difficult to see the good side of a person.  Hi, we've never met before three minutes ago, you can't see my face because I'm behind a screen, and I just told you the worst things about me.  That's going to leave a positive and accurate impression of me as an entire person, isn't it?  Anyway, if I am uptight, which I never considered myself to be before that day but now I'm wondering if I am (but who wants to admit they're uptight?), it's probably related to my personality or temperament, which would be very difficult to change.  Relax?  Oh, okay.  I hadn't thought of that.  What a logical solution!  I'll just ignore all the stress and pain related to IF and act like I don't have a worry or care in the world.  I'll become a different person overnight.  And then I will miraculously get pregnant right away.  (Because obviously we weren't relaxed when we started TTC and we didn't know we were IF...)

If there hadn't been a line of people behind me an hour long, I would have tried to tell the priest that this "relaxing will cure infertility" myth is just that, a myth.  I'm not sure how charitable I would have been because as soon as he said the word relax, inside my head was screaming, "DO YOU HAVE A CLUE OF WHAT CAUSES INFERTILITY?  RELAXING DOES NOT CURE ENDOMETRIOSIS OR THE INFECTION IN MY UTERUS OR ANY OTHER HOST OF GYNECOLOGIC PROBLEMS THAT CAUSE INFERTILITY."  But I bit my tongue and let him talk.  I was mad.  (not a good way to leave confession)  :(  I was very glad to be behind the screen.  I was also glad this was a visiting priest from another state; I would not be revisiting his confessional ever.

Priest: I don't understand why you're not pregnant yet.  God must have a really good reason for this.

My pastor said this to me recently.  He has known about our infertility since my first surgery two years ago and has told me periodically that he has been praying for us.  (He said it again after the confession.)  He doesn't know any of the medical issues specifically.  I could have told him, "Well, I've never had all of my problems fixed at the same time.  Surgery two years ago removed the endo, but the uterine infection wasn't treated until last summer, and by then my endo had most likely returned..."  But I didn't think he needed all the details.

After he said this, he told me a story from his past about a time where he faced a difficult situation he wished were different (his mom was in the hospital for over a month at the end of her life).  He said everyday he asked God to allow her to go home from the hospital so she could die at home but that if it was His will for her to remain, he would humbly accept it.  He said he knew how much we wanted a child, but if God was going to allow us to continue on childless, He would want our humble submission as well.  I guess I'll just trust that God does have a really good reason.  :)

Priest: God always gives us what we need...and sometimes what we want.

I like how simple this statement is and how well it sums up how God answers prayer.  I really appreciate the reminder.  I know that praying for children is a good thing and that they should be the natural product of marriage (assuming healthy reproductive systems), but ultimately I am praying for what I want.  It feels freeing to admit that I don't need a child.  I recently heard this, "If you need someone, you can't truly love them."  I've been thinking about this a lot and hoping that it would help me love a child better, if we were so blessed.

Priest: We have to trust God like a little child.  A child doesn't worry if his dad is going to be able to pay the rent; he just trusts that his dad will take care of him no matter what.

This is an important reminder for when I'm going through any kind of suffering or waiting, but I think it is so key for approaching infertility.  I may not get what I want or have things happen on my timeline, but I know that no matter what God is always with me and will bring me through anything.

Priest: Look to Mary.  She understands what it's like not to have things go according to human plans.  She became pregnant before she was married.  Soon after Jesus was born she had to flee to Egypt, a foreign land where she knew no one.  She watched her son be crucified.  Yet she still trusted God.  Ask her to pray for you.

I've never had a strong devotion to the Blessed Mother.  Before TTC, I thought that devotion might increase once I became a mother because then I'd be able to relate to her more closely having that in common.  It was always something I thought I'd do later.  Yet this priest reminded me that I don't need to wait until I'm a mother.  There is plenty about her life to ponder and be inspired by now. 



These have been the IF-related comments that stand out most in my memory.  What has your experience been in bringing up infertility during confession?

24 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! I bring up infertility in almost every confession, because it just affects so many aspects of my life. Actually, in the early days of realizing that something was wrong (after about 9 months of marriage), a priest in confession was the one who gave me the name of my Napro doctor!
    About six months later, I told a priest during confession about how I had just started treatments for IF, but clarified that I was seeing a Napro doctor, and we were only doing "church-approved" treatments. He said, "Oh, really, are there things that the church doesn't approve of in infertility treatments?" I then had a long conversation with him (luckily, no line for confession that day) about IVF and why the Catholic church says no to it. I'm not sure he had ever even heard of it before. It was pretty weird to be "teaching" the priest during my confession time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! I'm glad you explained IVF. That would be strange to be teaching the priest, especially something I assume they should know...? I had something similar happen once (not IF-related), and it was very uncomfortable telling the priest what the Church taught on the subject.

      Delete
  2. Reading this list (they were all said TO YOU??!!) makes me want to never mention infertility in a confessional, again!

    Wow. Incredible.

    And Rose, that, too, is truly sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they were all said to me. I abbreviated the comment about relaxing. The priest continued for almost a minute about how important being relaxed was for fertility. I have no idea where he got his information.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Amy - seriously?!?! These were all said to you - ugh! *facepalm*

    Though, I will say, this posts confirms my fears and why I waited until I found the "right" priest to be my spiritual director and regular confessor. Through our conversations in spiritual direction, he gets to see and learn about infertility in a way that is set up for questions and answers that serve us both. And I get to say "no, it's not exactly like that" if he says something "off" - and he's OK with it! It doesn't happen often, but it has created a good relationship between us. Then when it comes time for confession, well let's just say I get the sacrament now. In a way I never did before.

    It took only going to confession in a retreat setting where I knew I was with "good" priests to get me to this point, but I'm so grateful for it because as Amy said, I think I'd never mention it again if I'd heard all of this.

    And yes, Rose, wow, how sad :(. But I am glad he was willing to have a conversation with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only your spiritual director would share what he learns from you with all his brother priests... Maybe every priest needs a directee who is IF... :)

      Delete
  4. I have had similar comments from priests during confession and it is scary to bring up for fear I will roll my eyes or scold the priest during confession. The most recent comment was "remember marriage starts without children and ends without your children there. Focus on that, your marriage. St. Thomas Aquians says that 'marriage is the greatest friendship known to man' so continue to work on your marriage and friendship with your spouse." I found it so comforting for the priest to redirect my focus instead of telling me to relax or adopt and then I will get pregnant which I have both heard before.

    Go Rose for schooling the priest during confession! It is sad you had to do it but someone has to catechize them because a lot of seminaries sure aren't doing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the comment about focusing on marriage. I didn't mention it, but one of the quotes I wrote above was followed by the priest saying, "Maybe you should just adopt." ;)

      Delete
  5. Yikes! So do priests not get training on how to do pastoral care with couples struggling with infertility? (I mean that pretty seriously - yes, priests are human, but they're also in seminary how many years? And they're our spiritual fathers - it stinks to hear the same old comments from them as from any random person.)

    I don't think I've ever brought up our fertility struggles in confession, to be honest. I guess you're supposed to give the context of your sins, and I do say I'm married, but that's it. I confess things like jealousy without saying "I was jealous of a pregnant woman" and so far no priest has asked for further explanation. I don't know, I guess I'm not looking for advice in the confessional (not that I think that's wrong!) but for absolution and sacramental grace. I talk about IF with plenty of other people, that's for sure =)

    Those last comments from the priests are great, though - as is the one that Kat shared. I'm coming to see more and more how learning to deal with infertility is really learning to deal with prolonged suffering, and that's certainly a topic that our priests can help us with, right? I mean, spiritual reading is chock full of that stuff.

    (I love the post, by the way, Polkadot! I hope my different experience with confession isn't taken as a criticism or anything..!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your comment! I didn't take it as a criticism at all.

      I have no idea what kind of training seminarians or priests get about IF.

      I'm not usually looking for advice in the confessional--I go for the grace too :)--but I realize most of the time I'm going to get some kind of advice. A priest in college told us to be specific (and brief) when naming sins in confession; he said instead of confessing pride, give an example of your pride. I don't always follow that guideline, but with the infertility-related sins, I do mention IF.

      And yes! to this: dealing with IF is really learning to deal with prolonged suffering. Our priests should be experts in talking about this! :)

      Delete
  6. This post makes me livid. It's not just about pastoral care for infertile couples; when a priest has such a poor understanding of suffering it affects everyone in the parish: people struggling with cancer, people grieving the deaths of loved ones, people suffering because of poverty, or lack of health insurance. What does he say to those people? "I'm sure that at this time next year, you'll still be alive." "God must have had a reason for taking your loved one." "Just work a little harder and I'm sure you'll get health insurance in your next job."

    If I were you, I would really consider writing a letter to the Bishop about this. It's just unacceptable that priests have such poor pastoral AND theological training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah. The priests I quoted above were from at least three different dioceses. Two of the first three quotes were from a visiting priest. The first was a missionary priest from Africa and the third was from a priest of a certain order (not diocesan). The good quotes were from priests in my diocese. :)

      Delete
  7. As an IF myself, I had some awkward moments during confession. Nevertheless I think we should still show a great respect and love for the priest because without him we couldn't receive Christ's forgiveness and the great gift of Sacraments. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I love priests because they administer the Sacraments. :) I did not intend to be disrespectful at all.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I was referring mostly to the posts calling for a reprimand of the priest. I think sometime there is the unrealistic expectation to find during confession a therapist or an infertility expert. I think confession should be a moment to recognize that often despair, envy, anger, resentment can be an unwelcome guest in our journey with IF. Confession is the acknowledgement of our sin and frailty and the request for enough grace to live in a more Christian and loving way the challenge of IF.

      Delete
  8. There are some priests I always know I will get good advice from. Then others... well, like you, others I would only want to go to on my deathbed. The worst advice was from a priest who (meaning well, I think, but vastly under informed) told me to go to this one woman, the family of the america's I think - it wasn't going to help my problems, from what I recall! - and he told me if I called her, then I could know I'd done everything. This was after surgery and countless tests... it wasn't just a matter of figuring out "timing" and how to chart!!!!! I left the confession crying.

    I've heard the relax comment too, but mostly it was relax and trust and God's plan for my family. It wasn't about "relaxing" in the you-know-what sense. Easier said than done of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you left crying. I'm sure he thought he was being helpful...but sometimes you wish they stuck to their area of expertise (spiritual care). I cried also after at least one IF-related confession.

      Delete
  9. That's quite the list! Some extremely helpful things and some things that were not so much. I have occasionally brought up my singleness in confession to give context. I have heard a couple of those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine you might hear some very similar comments...hopefully more of the good ones and less of the not so good ones. :)

      Delete
  10. Ugh!!! I guess some these are an exercise in humility. I was confessing my anger once and a priest told me to yell into a pillow. Now only was that in direct conflict with what my Catholic therapist taught me in anger management, I thought to myself, "Am I supposed to carry a pillow around with me all day?" Once, I went to confession at a huge parish in downtown Chicago. There was absolutely no counseling. Just absolution. Sometimes that is best. It's so hard to sum up suffering and how to live with it in a few sentences. Just curious, did the last three help or hurt? It seemed like they helped...just wondering. This is a great post- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The last three helped me. Actually the last four helped. #4 only made sense after the priest explained it more. #5 was my favorite--it has made me think the most of any of them.

      Delete
  11. Once during confession the priest told me about his aunt in Italy who waited something like 12 years to have a child. I know he was trying hard to relate to me, but I wish he had something more for me to take away besides, "I have to wait more than a decade to have a baby?"

    The last time I went to confession the priest said some pretty incoherent things about IF. It seemed like he was struggling to get to some point, but couldn't get there. There really needs to be more training regarding IF spirituality!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have gotten the "just adopt, then you'll get pregnant" from a priest during confession. I have to say that not knowing how the priest is going to handle the IF context of most of my sins makes it harder for me to go to confession. Granted, I struggle a little to begin with since I wasn't raised Catholic, but things that make it harder do not help.

    I wonder what type of training priest get in counseling/advising their parishioners, since it seems to be a real part of hearing confessions.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My favorites are the last two ... look to Mary and trust God. I've gotten some interesting advice too, but nothing like this! Before I moved, there was a new pastor in our church & I went to confession to him a few times. The things he said as suggestions / comments after I confessed my sins were some of the most profound things I've heard in a confessional.
    Thanks for sharing all your comments from confession!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)