page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Thursday, November 13, 2014

If you test, she will come

I had heard of this phenomenon that if you (an IFer) take a home pregnancy test (HPT), AF will arrive shortly after.  I can say now that it happened to me.

I took my first ever HPT a cycle ago.  In over five years of TTC, I had never made it long enough to test.  I broke my rule of waiting until P+17 this time because it was a crazy cycle, and I needed to rule out things. I was pretty sick during the "fertile" time of the cycle and had pathetic mucus, so all signs pointed toward a double peak (assuming ovulation had not actually happened yet).  I've been charting for a looooong time and have never double peaked even amid significant stress, but there's a first time for everything.  :)  So I waited for the second mucus build up to start and did not take my HCG, which I normally take after peak day.

Ten days after the first peak, I had good mucus for two days.  I thought it was my second peak. That was followed by spotting...which didn't make any sense.  Another interpretation could have been that I did ovulate during the first peak, and this second patch of mucus was implantation mucus.  We had used P+2, so it was a possibility.  When the spotting continued for the third day, I was scratching my head.  I needed to rule out something.  Anything.  Taking my temperature wouldn't have helped at that point because I was post-peak regardless (either P+3 or P+14).  So I did the only other thing that I could think of that might shed some light on things—take a HPT.  DH came along to the store for moral support.  I found one of the $0.88 ones that I had heard about from NFP circles.

The before picture.  Prior to opening the box, I didn't even know
what the test would look like.  This was foreign territory.
I read the directions about twenty times because I didn't want to mess it up.  I was nervous, even though I was 99% sure it would be negative.  It was.

My first ever real BFN.
AF started the next day.  What a messed up cycle.  Dr. K thought the two days of good mucus post-peak was just premenstrual mucus/fluid that some women have.  I didn't know you could all of a sudden develop premenstrual mucus, but I guess you can...?

In that same cycle review, I mentioned that I have pain again during my period.  Boo.  :(  I've had a couple cycles lately with premenstrual spotting (three or more days of spotting before AF), and Dr. K had thought that was due to inflammation because my hormone levels were above normal. Does pain + inflammation = endo??

Well, we're going to find out.  In a week.  It all came together really quickly.

Next Friday, I'm having a laparoscopy with Dr. E, who did my last surgery 21 months ago.  Surgery #3.  Honestly, I hope it IS endo and that it can be cleaned out with just a regular laparoscopy.  Last time Dr. E had the option to switch to the robot during my surgery if she needed it (and she did). This time there will be no switching, so if there is too much endo or it's too hard to reach, I'll need a second bigger surgery with the robot (and a two week recovery).  If this is endo again, I must have some crazy aggressive form that it keeps coming back.  :(

I really don't expect this surgery to help us get pregnant.  DH is more optimistic.  I feel like we're fighting an uphill, losing battle against endo and infection/inflammation.  It seems like we can never fix both at the same time. The infection/inflammation had been taken care of for several months, but who knows if I had endo sneakily growing back during that time.  And now if we remove the endo again, I don't know that the antibiotic that used to work will still be strong enough to beat the TEBB.  Dr. E will be doing cultures of my uterus during my surgery, so we'll see what the bug status is in there.  I hope I haven't picked up any new bacteria like last time I was cultured.  :(

I'm disappointed to be having surgery again.  Being pain-free would be really nice.  Maybe the third time's the charm and this will keep the endo away longer?  A girl can dream...  :)

Tomorrow I'm headed to the IF retreat Rebecca is running this weekend, so hopefully that will take my mind off of surgery.  I'm looking forward to some IRL conversations with other IFers.  :)

8 comments:

  1. Yes, I've totally had this happen. Once, I held off so long that I was positive I would *have* a good result from it..... and I got my period during the HPT. That one was fun. Like you said though, it's like joining a weird little club, isn't it?

    I'm another one who developed random premenstrual a mucus patch. It wasn't a part of my charting for the entire time I charted, so I didn't know what it was. Very confusing, so I understand why you felt called to test. I did too, when I saw it the first time. Mostly, I'm impressed you held off the HCG and medicated at the right time!

    I feel like I have a different pattern every month at this point. When I'm least stressed, I double peak - go figure. When I'm most stressed (international travel, sick, etc.), I end up with no double peak and a very good looking cycle. It makes no sense to me. Sometimes I feel like my cycle just wants to test the Creighton rules! :P

    I'm sorry you have to have surgery again, but I'm really hoping you get some good answers from it. Dr. E is wonderful so I know you'll be in good hands. Here's to a wonderful IF retreat in the meantime though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great retreat...and try, try, try to let IF go and find peace with the Lord. I think you are the first blogger to post a BFN pg stick! Love it! Praying for you as your endure another surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are in my prayers.

    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi- I'm hoping to find a few people who are interested in reading and discussing some books with me. With that in mind, I wanted to share a reading list. Thank you!

    The Catholic Labyrinth: Power, Apathy, and a Passion for Reform in the American Church, by Peter McDonough (Oxford University Press, USA July 15, 2013) 978-0199751181

    Mortal Sins: Sex, Crime, and the Era of Catholic Scandal, by Michael D'Antonio (St. Martin's/Dunne 2013). ISBN 978-0-312-59489-3

    This Little Light: Beyond a Baptist Preacher Predator and His Gang, by Christa Brown (Foremost Press 2009). ISBN: 978-0-9818418-3-0

    Tempest in the Temple: Jewish Communities and Child Sex Scandals, by Amy Neustein (Brandeis 2009). ISBN: 978-1584656715

    Crosses: Portraits of Clergy Abuse, by Carmine Galasso, ISBN: 978-1-904563-59-4

    Innocence Betrayed - A Dad's Story of Clergy Misconduct, A novel by H. J. Wisocki and C.J. Szajnecki. ISBN: 1-4241-8171-2

    Sex, Priests, and Secret Codes: The Catholic Church's 2,000-Year Paper Trail of Sexual Abuse (Hardcover), by Thomas P. Doyle, A. W. R. Sipe, Patrick J. Wall, (Bonus Books, 2006) ISBN: 1566252652

    Sin, Shame, And Secrets: The Murder of a Nun, the Arrest of a Priest, And Cover-up in the Catholic Church, by David Yonke. (Continuum International Publishing Group 2006) ISBN: 0826417558

    Our Fathers: The Secret Life of the Catholic Church in an Age of Scandal, by David France. (New York, Broadway Books, January 2004) ISBN: 0767914309

    Lead Us Not Into Temptation: Catholic Priests and the Sexual Abuse of Children, by Jason Berry. (Originally Published late 1992; Paperback edition: Univ. of Illinois Press, April 2000), ISBN: 0252068122

    Betrayal: The Crisis in the Catholic Church, by Boston Globe Investigative Team. (Originally Published June 2002; Paperback edition: Back Bay Press, April 2003), ISBN: 0316776750

    A Gospel of Shame: Children, Sexual Abuse and the Catholic Church, by Frank Bruni and Eleanor Burkett. (Originally published 1993; Paperback edition: Perennial, June 2002) ISBN: 0060522321

    Brother Tony's Boys: The Largest Case of Child Prostitution in U.S. History, by Mike Echols. (Prometheus Books, July 1996). ISBN: 1573920517

    Is Nothing Sacred?: The Story of a Pastor, the Women He Sexually Abused, and the Congregation He Nearly Destroyed, by Marie M. Fortune. (Pilgrim Press, March 1999), ISBN: 0829812709

    Justice Denied, What America Must Do to Protect its Children, by Marci Hamilton. (Cambridge University Press, April 2008) ISBN: 052188621X

    Sacrilege: Sexual Abuse in the Catholic Church, by Leon J. Podles. (Crossland Press, November 2007) ISBN: 0979027993

    Holding Bishops Accountable: How Lawsuits Helped the Catholic Church Confront Clergy Sex Abuse, by Timothy B. Lytton. (Harvard University

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have wasted hundreds of dollars in tests. Stupid. Sorry that happened to you. Praying your surgery goes well and you don't need the bigger one. You are an example of faith, patience and fortitude. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so sorry =( Didn't read this until now, but I'm sure the retreat was both well-timed and also extra poignant after this experience. Seeing that negative test is just awful! Even if you think "it's probably negative" seeing the test takes away all illusions. Many prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so sorry you had to go through that and so sorry to hear that you need surgery again. Prayers that the retreat was a comfort to you and that surgery goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BFNs are the worst, and always mean AF is like seconds away. I'm so sorry. What a wonky cycle! Prayers for your upcoming surgery!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)