I had my appointment with an endocrinologist yesterday. My goal was to find out what the significance is of having a diffusely enlarged pituitary. Nothing else. I don't want more cooks in this (IF) kitchen than necessary. The appointment went okay...apart from the ten minutes or so when I was led to believe I had a brain tumor. But I did learn what I wanted to know so I'm satisfied.
The doctor spent the first part of the appointment explaining my "macroadenoma." My heart sank. (that word means large tumor) I was sitting there thinking, "I guess I do have a brain tumor." She said it was just starting to impinge on the optic nerves. She asked me multiple times if I had any vision loss or problems. She talked about getting another MRI in six months to see if it decreased in size. At some point I interrupted her and asked, "So I do have a tumor?" "Yes, you do, and macro means it's larger than 1 cm." Then she stopped and pulled up my MRI report.
"My mistake. No, you don't have a tumor. Your pituitary is just enlarged. You won't need another MRI."
That's a relief (to find out for the second time). I wish she would have read the report a little more closely. It's really not fun to be told you have a tumor when you thought you didn't.
She said the enlarged pituitary could very well be a normal variant. Normal!! I was not expecting to hear that. Her only guess as to why my pituitary was enlarged was the HCG I've been taking post-peak for four years. She said it's common in pregnancy for the pituitary to become enlarged due to the presence of HCG.
She did want to do some labs to see how else the pituitary is functioning, but she said she can't check the hormones I'm being treated for because it won't tell her anything. The (anterior) pituitary makes six hormones, and I'm on medicine that affects five of them. (Example: The pituitary makes TSH, which tells the thyroid to make thyroid hormones. If you take thyroid hormones as a medicine, the pituitary goes to sleep because TSH isn't needed.) The only one of the six she could test is growth hormone, so she's doing that. She's rechecking my prolactin since I've been on the medicine just over a month; she said it didn't matter that I wasn't fasting. I asked her to recheck my vitamin D, since it was low last fall. There's something else too but I don't remember what...I do remember the four tubes of blood they took from me. I'm glad it wasn't more. :)
She said she would refrain from commenting on my thyroid labs from February if that's what I preferred. Yes, that's what I preferred. :) She did let me know what she thought of them in a back-handed way.
As I expected, she was very skeptical of NaPro, both the long-distance concept and the actual treatment approach. She asked me why I was originally put on T3 ("because it's standard everywhere to only use Synthroid/levothyroxine") so I explained it was due to low temps, symptoms, and a low T3 to reverse T3 ratio. (reverse T3 is inactive) "That's not mainstream medicine," she says.
Clearly. You can say that again. (She did say it again later.) :P
If I didn't roll my eyes, I definitely wanted to multiple times...she wasn't just asking out of curiosity; she bordered on condescending... The thing that usually stopped her accusatory tone was when I said, "NaPro has some great pregnancy success rates. They've found (insert NaPro medicine here) worked for their patients." I said that when she asked why I was working with a doc in another state, how I picked PPVI in the first place, and why reverse T3 ratios are used to plan treatment. She did ask if there were papers published so she could read to learn more. I told her they (Dr. H) tried, but no one wanted to hear about that. (Dr. H got sick of journals rejecting his research paper submissions for that reason so he stopped submitting.) She nodded in understanding. I mentioned if she really wanted to, she could buy the 1000+ page NaPro textbook. As soon as I said that, she scribbled something in her notes, but didn't say anything. I have no idea if she would actually consider purchasing the textbook. I would be shocked if she did. I'm supposed to go back in three months for another appointment, so maybe I'll find out then.
With all the questioning she did of my NaPro treatment, I'm a bit disappointed that she didn't ask about naltrexone. (It's the ONLY one she didn't ask about.) Knowing that they expect me to say I'm on it to treat an alcohol or drug addiction, I like seeing people's faces when I say it's a miracle drug for PMS. :)








Wow...what a mixed bag...and yes, she should have read your chart/MRI a little for closely before sending you in a tailspin of having some kind of tumor! I would have been beyond myself. I've had interesting comments from Dr's about Napro but they just do what they have learned. Well, at least you got the good news of no tumor.
ReplyDeleteUgh managing all of the meds/diagnoses/treatments while ALSO explaining to mainstream docs why we are doing all of this is so exhausting--it really is a full time job. God bless you, praying for many great developments in your very near future!
ReplyDeleteWow I would've freaked out for the 10minutes that the dr. thought I had a tumor! I am glad you don't and she finally realized that. Hope the prolactin continues to decrease!
ReplyDeleteI love how she said "that's not mainstream" as if it was a bad thing! I would have responded, "I know, isn't it great?!"
ReplyDeleteCause synthroid sucks, doc! ha! How do you prescribe to "mainstream" medicine that keeps people sick. Go figure! Ha!
DeleteThe funny thing is that when one is given thyroid the pituitary recognizes it as thyroid hormones....so the pit stops asking the thyroid to make thyroid hormones. So why in the hell are endocrinologist so wrapped up in TSH--which isn't even a thyroid hormone. The logic is beyond me.
Have you ever had an elevated TSH in the past?
I don't get the obsession with TSH either. No elevated TSH for me.
DeleteHow scary to think you had a brain tumor for 10 minutes. I'm so glad you don't! I never knew that The pituitary makes TSH, which tells the thyroid to make thyroid hormones. If you take thyroid hormones as a medicine, the pituitary goes to sleep because TSH isn't needed. What is the long term effect of this? I trust dr. Hilgers but this seems scary to me that the medicine we are on causes our body to stop doing something it usually does. Is there an alternative?
ReplyDeleteI don't know any long term effect, other than having low TSH levels, which isn't a big deal because TSH is just an intermediate step/hormone. Its job is to tell the thyroid to make thyroid hormones; so if there are enough thyroid hormones around (either because your thyroid made them or because you took them in medicine form), the pituitary doesn't have to make TSH anymore. It's all a big feedback loop. I think of it as one less thing for the pituitary to do. It's not something to be worried about. The medication isn't preventing the pituitary from doing it's job, if that's what you were thinking. The important thing is to get your thyroid hormone levels to be in the normal range. This is how all hypothyroid patients are treated (NaPro or not)--they are given thyroid hormones in a pill to increase their levels.
DeleteI can't cite any specific study, but from my understanding, hypothyroidism is very often caused by Hashimoto's thyroiditis. With Hashi's, as the body attacks the thyroid gland, pieces of the gland are destroyed. So, my feeling is that I'd rather supplement with natural thyroid hormones my whole life and get what I need, since we can't expect a partial thyroid to necessarily work as efficiently as a full and healthy thyroid. Hypothyroidism is very seldom reversed (other than in rare cases where it is caused by iodine deficiency or is a result of Hashi's caught early enough that no real damage is done and antibodies are able to be suppressed through diet), so there really isn't an alternative that is as effective. Since the thyroid is responsible for so many of the body's functions and hormones, taking a pill or two (or in my case four) every day is a small price to pay to feel normal. And after 7 years on Synthroid, I can also say that I felt no better than I did the day I started it. Switched to natural dessicated thyroid, and I've never felt better. (Despite doctors that constantly try to convince me that my TSH is too suppressed. It's a miracle if they even check free T's, which are far more important than TSH or total T's. )
DeleteI love your thyroid talk! We could be BFF! Amen sista!!
DeleteYikes, she doesn't seem to have the best bedside manner, or respect for her patients' decisions. Good job telling her the truth about NaPro. Praise God you don't have a brain tumor!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou should send her a copy of lay version of the textbook! http://www.unleashingthepower.info/
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I'm sorry you had that sort of experience with the doctor. DH's bro and sis-in-law are both doctors, and so far neither has said anything about how NaPro is "not mainstream" or anything condescending, but I'm a little nervous for when we'll visit them next month (first time since sharing my health concerns with them).
And is it really true that Dr. H stopped submitting to journals? I totally understand that he's probably incredibly frustrated, but it sort of looks like giving up, and all of us who in believe in NaPro need to persist, even in the face of the biggest naysayers.
I always forget about the lay version! Thanks for the reminder! And yeah, Dr. H stopped submitting to journals a long time ago. He mentioned that at our practitioner training...quite a few years ago. He did get a paper published since then on his surgical techniques preventing adhesions, but I think it was in a low-impact journal. And new surgical techniques are a lot more "acceptable" to the medical world than non-mainstream treatments and using NFP charts to guide medical decisions. But not publishing in journals did give us the huge NaPro medical textbook, so that's something. There are a couple other NaPro docs who have published in journals on their overall pregnancy rates (not necessarily on specific treatments they used)--one in Ireland and one in Canada.
DeleteI'm so sorry that the endocrinologist was so careless in mistakenly telling you you have a tumor. I'm glad that isn't the case! I also hate that she was so skeptical and condescending in regards to NaPro and proper thyroid treatment. Good for you for educating her! I have started to ask all my doctors first thing that they do not comment on my thyroid levels and to leave that to the doctor who has helped me regain quality of life after years of being undermedicated.
ReplyDelete