page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Everything since Christmas

1. Before I start with my updates, I'd like to say thank you so much to all of you who prayed for those of us still waiting during Advent as part of the spiritual bouquet. (Yes, that was a month ago.) It's so easy to feel forgotten by those who have moved on into the world of motherhood and whose IF blogs have become mommy blogs. Your prayers and sacrifices were so touching and very much appreciated.

2. After some tough few weeks of Advent, I ended up having a fairly joyful Christmas (as much as possible anyway, considering the circumstances). It was nice to spend time with my grandma. She made way too much food as usual and wouldn't accept anyone's help as usual. :) None of the relatives asked us about having kids, which was nice. I wonder if they think we're not going to have kids given that we've been married for so long. One of my cousins got married last summer, and I admit I was quite relieved (maybe too relieved) to see his wife with an alcoholic drink in her hand. Family gatherings are usually my "IF safe space"--there are no babies and no pregnant women. The only children are school-aged, and my only married cousin announced they were "done" as soon as she was pregnant with their second child, who is now six years old.

3. New Year's Eve was not an IF safe space. We went to a party with friends. There were babies being passed around and multiple pregnant ladies. I had a pleasant (to the outside observer) conversation with a very visibly pregnant friend about maternity dresses and how well they fit. I felt so fake asking questions and pretending to be interested so she'd never know it was killing me inside. I really just wanted to run to the bathroom and cry. Oh, I forgot to mention AF arrived 10 minutes before we left for the party. I was in an unhappy mood (to put it mildly) most of the night, especially since I had gotten my hopes up more than usual because my post-peak phase was a day and a half longer than normal. So I was mad at myself for hoping and mad at AF for appearing when she did. Thankfully DH understood when I wanted to leave five minutes after midnight.

4. A curious thing happened on my chart this cycle, and I'm wondering what might have caused it. I had significantly less TEBB. Usually when I have it, it's present all day long and in large amounts (ewwww), but this cycle it was just a little bit once or twice each day and much lighter in color. Technically I only had two days of TEBB this cycle, compared to seven days last cycle. I did have two other days mid-cycle with a single occurrence of brown, but they were not directly after AF.

There were several things different that may have caused this change. I spent the last two weeks of the previous cycle visiting family for Christmas and New Year's, in a different part of the country from where we live. I think I ate more healthy foods while traveling--and more food in general--but I also completely overdosed on sugar. "Overdosed" is not an exaggeration. My family made multiple batches of cookies and other addictive tasty desserts just for me (with all my diet restrictions). There was a container labeled "polkadot's treats" (actually two containers) and a separate one with "treats for everyone else." I had not yet gone sugar free as Dr. K recommended--I was planning to do so after all the New Year's festivities. In my attempt to offset all the sugar, I took a probiotic twice a day without fail. (Normally at home I'm lucky if I remember to take a probiotic at all because I keep it in the fridge, so it's not in my pill box.) The probiotic is my best guess at what would have deceased my TEBB. I really haven't been diligent about taking it regularly since I had the IV antibiotics last summer when my TEBB disappeared for one cycle.

5. Another thing different about last cycle was that it was the first cycle at a slightly increased dose of Clomid (went from 25mg to 50mg on CD3-5). I had the best mucus I've ever seen. (My mucus cycle score, a way to rate the mucus quality, was the highest it's ever been. I looked through all my old charts to confirm this.) I took very little Mucinex or B6 that cycle...so much for Clomid drying up mucus! I also had breast tenderness from P+2 on which was quite a bit more painful than usual. I guessed that my body was responding well to the higher Clomid dose. My P+7 blood draw was not shipped to PPVI like normal because I was traveling, so it can't truly be compared to the PPVI values from previous cycles...however my progesterone was 43 and my estrogen was 32. Both were twice as high as the previous cycle. My body likes more Clomid. :) This cycle the breast tenderness is really mild, so I think I might be back to my "normal" hormone levels.

6. Back in December I had received an e-mail from the surgery scheduler at PPVI saying that she would be contacting me in January about picking a date for my laparoscopy with Dr. K. When I received a phone call to schedule my surgery, I was quite surprised that it was from Dr. E's office, the NaPro surgeon who is a few hours from here. It turns out that she had openings in her schedule much sooner than originally expected. When I had my appointment with her in November, she had estimated February or March, but when I later spoke with the scheduler, it was going to be a longer wait. Upon learning that, Dr. K at PPVI offered to do the surgery, so DH and I agreed because we didn't want to wait. But now since Dr. E had openings in February, we're going with her. Interestingly, Dr. K's scheduler called the day after Dr. E's scheduler called. Dr. K's scheduler was aware of the situation and was very happy to hear that Dr. E could do the surgery because she knew we much preferred to have it done closer to home.

So my surgery is Friday, February 8th with Dr. E. That's next week!!! I am excited that is it so soon and that we can drive there. I have a pre-op appointment and blood work the day before, so we'll stay overnight that night. My surgery is at noon. Dr. E will start with a regular laparoscopy, and if there's endo in hard-to-reach places or a lot of it, she'll switch to a robotic laparoscopy. If she switches to robotic, I'll spend that night in the hospital and have a two week recovery. If she stays with the regular laparoscopy, I'll spend that night in the hotel with DH and have only a few days of recovery. After my surgery two years ago it took a full week to get back to feeling close to normal, but Dr. E thinks a lot of that had to do with my uterine septum reduction. (I am very curious to learn how things look inside my uterus now...) She said a weekend would probably be enough recovery time for a typical laparoscopy. Without going into details of why I was having surgery, I explained the situation to my boss that I might be out for up to two weeks or it could be less. (I didn't say that I might be back the Monday after surgery though...) He was really understanding and said to take whatever time off I need.

7. Besides the laparoscopy, Dr. E is going to do the following: biopsies and cultures of the endometrium and cervix, selective hysterosalpingogram (she'll also clean out the fallopian tubes if they're blocked), and hysteroscopy.

8. I've started making a list of things to take along on the trip for after the surgery since we won't be home until the following day. Normally I'd be packing a lot of food for an overnight road trip, but if it's anything like last surgery, I was too nauseous to eat much for about a day. And I'm on a liquid-only diet the day before surgery, so that limits my options. I'm trying to remember what I used last time or had just in case...so far I have a pillow for the car, heating pad, sweat pants, etc. If I would be spending the night in the hospital, any advice for what I might want to have with me?

9. I'm glad I wasn't given that much advance notice of my surgery date because it's less time to be worried about what the surgeon might possibly find. I have this fear in the back of my head that the inside of my uterus is all scarred up from the septum removal, and Dr. E will say our TTC days are over. Irrational, yes, but isn't most fear like that? ;) I'm also a bit scared that she'll find absolutely nothing wrong--no endo, etc. That I think is less likely because my ultrasound series from last year showed a shadowy area on my left ovary suspicious for endo. I guess I want to know whatever it looks like inside. Any info will be helpful going forward.

11 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have a great surgery plan in place. I am happy to hear about less TEBB and very happy to hear about good CM. That is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! That's a speedy surgery date! Please post again (I'm so scatterbrained) so I can pray for you the day of/before. I hope that things are looking good for your insides - and it is so great to read that your probiotic seems to be keeping the TEBB at bay! Anything to stop that monster!
    I'm excited for you (well, honestly, for you to be in surgery recovery) and to know what the doctor finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weird - I've had crazy TEBB for almost a year and the last cycle I barely had any (only the day before CD1) and this cycle I haven't noticed any yet. I was getting it on P+3 for so long. I've been drinking Kefir in the mornings so your mention of the probiotic has me wondering too.

    Definitely praying for your surgery!! In the hospital - bring underwear!!! I never had any after my last surgery and never thought to ask for a pair (my surgery was longer so I was in for a few days). Also, one random thing, I did my hair the morning of the surgery (flat iron) so while I looked terrible, my hair looked great for a few days, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you on the short notice, less time to stress out about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree - short notice, while it can present some challenges, is the way to go! Keeps us out of our heads.

    Very interesting on the probiotic...especially considering Isaiah had a similar experience :).

    So sweet of your family to have treats just for you - it's nice when people at least try to "get it."

    Prayers that all goes well with your surgery. I can relate to your fear that everything will be "fine", I was prepared to be thoroughly embarrassed after my surgery last year. But, as The Man would try to tell me, even if everything looks good, that is important information.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be praying for your surgery to go well. It's great to hear that your body seems to be responding to the higher dose of Clomid and that the probiotic seems to be helping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for you!

    Ditto to your own undies and pads too. I hate hospital maxi pads.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is awesome about the TEBB and probiotics... hmmm. You have me thinking... I will have do experiments on myself. :)

    I will keep you in prayer for the surgery next week! I'm trying to remember what I had in the hospital with me. (Four surgeries, two overnight hospital stays.) Book to read, underwear, your own toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush. Your iPad or laptop to watch movies or netflix. I remember reading a little in between sleeping intermittently. I also listened to music. But mostly I tried to sleep.

    A small pillow is a must: press it against your belly when you have to sneeze or laugh or on a bumpy car ride. It helps. (Don't know how or why. It just does.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will be praying for your surgery this week. I'm interested about the TEBB and probiotics as well, but I guess it makes sense? As always, great to hear an update from your corner of the world :) Makes me think I should do one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have in my mind C! Prayers for your surgery today. Hoping that the surgery will give you some answers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)