It's a sad state of things when you feel inspired to address one of your organs, as if it would change anything. Perhaps this is just one of the more strange effects of IF.
Dear uterus,
Your most recent behavior has me rather concerned. Yes, I understand you have been through a lot with the septum removal. And I know that balloon which kept you stretched out for four days afterward wasn't pleasant either. (But it was for your own good—adhesions are the last thing either you or I want.) On top of that, you were bombarded with high levels of estrogen for three weeks followed by a week and a half of progesterone. It's enough to make anyone crazy, I know. Really, I know.
However, all I needed you to do was cooperate like a good little end organ. In response to the estrogen, you were supposed to produce a nice, thick endometrial lining and then wait for further instruction. I will concede that you partially obeyed in the growth respect; this last week has made that rather obvious. But you just couldn't wait until the end of the estrogen prescription—you decided to ramp up the bleeding so it mimicked a period. Funny, it was right at the time my normal period would have come. Was that your way of rebelling? Trying to prove you can dominate over the artificial estrogen? Was it revenge for how you were treated during and after surgery?
Then when I started progesterone, it appeared you were willing to cooperate after all—the bleeding stopped for a few days. Perhaps you were temporarily forced into submission. At that point I was ready to forgive you for jumping the gun during the estrogen treatment. But that short reprieve from bleeding was just a teaser, right? You still had to prove you were in charge. Instead of waiting until AFTER the tenth day of progesterone to start the withdrawal bleed like the doctor said, you decided to start after just the sixth day. Of course that coincided with date night when I was wearing my favorite skirt—the white one. You are lucky—very lucky—that I am always prepared with supplies. (Your behavior during my teenage years has made me forever paranoid.) I naively assumed that it would be just a little spotting. But, no, by the next day it was equivalent to period-type flow. So was the next day. And the two days after that. I have to ask: what is going on? Why have you chosen to ignore the progesterone? Did you get sick of being told what to do and decided you had enough? Must I remind you that you are not the brain, and you don't get to call the shots?
This is really making me question your capabilities. If I can't trust you to respond appropriately to simple hormone treatments, how can I trust you with bigger, more important functions? It's time to shape up and take your job seriously. (Please.)
Sincerely,
polkadot








So sorry your body hasn't been responding correctly. I know your frustration with irregular bleeding and wacky hormones. Do you have PCOS? At this rate, your next cycle has to look better than this one. I guess that's the positive of it! If only your uterus would write you a letter back explaining its perspective on your questions!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry all this happened, and please forgive me, but this letter had me peeing my pants laughing!! :) You have a great sense of humor, I love it!
ReplyDeleteYour uterus and my ovaries should just go off on a long vacation together... and send back some appropriately-behaved replacements.
This is GREAT. You were too kind to your uterus! Love this.
ReplyDeleteLaughing so hard - at your humor - not your situation! Darn you body!! WTH?
ReplyDeleteDid the doctor give you any info on what this could mean? I have to say, I don't get it either - why the heck is the P not working!
Offering my night for you!
Blessings,
Holly
Trust, you're not the first (nor will be the last!) IF blogger to address her uterus in a post! I just wish our uteri (is that the plural?) could listen better to our pleas!
ReplyDeletePPIW - No, I don't have PCOS. And I definitely wish my uterus could respond to some of my questions. :)
ReplyDeleteTCIE - No need to ask for forgiveness--my intention was to make people laugh with this. :) I needed to laugh too otherwise all of this would just make me cry...
LJ - I thought about threatening to replace my uterus in the letter, but that would really be an empty threat. ;)
Holly - I won't get to ask the doctor until I see him next in May. My uneducated guess is that something is wrong with my progesterone receptors but I have no idea how to fix that...
JB - Thanks. I worried I might be kicked out of the IF community for going crazy. :)
Love the letter! Hopefully "Uterus" will cooperate soon :)
ReplyDeleteLOL ... hilarious. I love how you can help the rest of us see the lighter side of this journey. Thanks. :)
ReplyDelete