page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Monday, December 22, 2014

Surviving holidays

This might be a bit surprising, but I've never spent a holiday family gathering with either a pregnant woman or a baby since we started TTC more than five years ago.  My parents are not grandparents, and my youngest cousin is in grade school.  Thanksgiving and Christmas have been essentially safe spaces for an IFer.  No family member has ever asked us about when we are going to have kids (and we have not shared with family that we are IF), so we haven't even had to attempt an awkward conversation about it.  Last year on Christmas, DH was reading in the living room, and nearby two of my aunts were saying that my grandma needed more babies around.  DH made a beeline to the kitchen to "get something to drink" to avoid getting pulled into the conversation.  I know we've had it easy compared to stories I've heard from other IFers.

All that will change this Christmas.  There will be two infants at our extended family celebration on Christmas Day.  Two of my cousins who married in the last few years recently had a baby.  One of my aunts will likely be sharing her excitement with everyone, as any new grandma would.  During the afternoon people gather in the kitchen or living room, and I really just want to hide in the room where the babies are not (the living room) and avoid them, but I kind of expect that aunt to personally introduce the baby to everyone.  (The other aunt has other grandchildren so maybe her excitement won't be as fresh?)  Is it bad to hope that both babies will be sleeping the whole afternoon?  It's only about five hours that the cousins with babies will be around on Christmas Day, based on previous years, so at least it's a limited time.  I can't spend much time in the bathroom as there are only two bathrooms for 40+ people.  ;)  I'll be in the middle of my post-peak phase, so all bets are off how my mood will be.  Just thinking about being around babies is making me cry right now, so I'm not super optimistic I'll be able to hold it together in three days.  There's nowhere to escape as we'll be in a rural area, and the nearest city is a half hour away.  I suppose I could go for a walk outside in my nice dress and big winter boots if it got too hard to handle...  I know I can't just avoid them forever though.

I'm also not looking forward to comments about having babies, especially if they're thrown in my direction.  I'm hoping it just doesn't come up.  :)  I had asked for advice on what to say to the question, "Where are you going to have kids?" in an older blog post.  The advice in the comments ranged from sharing about IF to saying "I don't know" and changing the topic or walking away.  I'm leaning toward saying: "I don't know.  I'm going to get some more water."

If you have any advice on how to get through Christmas gatherings with babies around or how you handle relatives' comments and questions related to having kids or IF, please share in the comments.  :)

I keep all you of in my prayers always, but most especially this week.  If I end up having a difficult day on Christmas, I will be offering it up for you.

5 comments:

  1. Good luck on surviving the holidays. It really is too bad that there will be no place to go to get away from it for a while, but I hope it won't be as bad as it seems right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just try to get through the ordeal...as best as I can. I just find someone I can sit and chat with or help in the kitchen to keep busy. No one has ever asked me to hold a baby or anything at family gatherings for there is always someone else doing it. I just let it be. It just seems to work out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prayers for you! I hope it's not as bad as it may seem. I usually go for a walk, easy for me in SoCal :) or I embrace being in the moment. If they offer me a baby to hold I will because I don't mind but when the conversation gets to pointing to me and our fertility issues I try and change the subject. My husband and I usually stick together as well so we can have our own conversations and we ALWAYS sit next to each other while eating so we can help deflect. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To me helped surviving the holidays thinking to accept the babies at the family gatherings as if I was in the precence of baby Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope and pray it goes better than expected. I am always worried with my hubby's family, but it seems to go better than expscted. I was worried last July 4th, with our two neices pregnant, but it was fine. I think it helps that they know about our IF. I will be thinking of u. Maybe plan something to look forward to after the gathering, or the next day? I usually say "We dont know, but pray for us."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)