page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Friday, August 8, 2014

Still tweaking

1.  I would have thought that doing NaPro treatments for over four years would mean that we would be done with finding new problems and just be on maintenance treatment for the "old" problems.  That doesn't seem to be the case yet.  In NaPro there are usually three stages: find, fix, count (find the problems, try treatments to fix them, and then start counting good ("effective") cycles (up to 12-18) where your chart is pretty and everything seems to be normal).  In my experience, I've bounced back and forth between find and fix for a while, and then stayed in "fix" because the treatments weren't working (e.g. to eliminate TEBB) or the problem came back after having been fixed (endo—resulting in my second surgery last year).

I thought (naively?) that saying goodbye to TEBB and lowering my prolactin were the last things that needed fixing.  Apparently not, at least if you look at my chart.  I had one picture perfect cycle the first cycle without TEBB a few months ago.  Effective cycle count: 1.  The next cycle I had three days of premenstrual spotting at the end.  Boo.  Where did that come from??  Premenstrual spotting is usually caused by low progesterone after ovulation.  But that doesn't make any sense.  I'm on low-dose Clomid and post-peak HCG.  My P+7 hormone levels have been great for months and months and got even better when the TEBB disappeared.  But just in case my hormones drop too low too soon before AF arrives, Dr. K thought I could try taking more HCG.  So the following cycle I took HCG on four days post-peak (adding in P+3) instead of the three days post-peak (P+5, P+7, P+9) which I have done for the last four years.  Guess what happened to my P+7 hormones that cycle?  They were through the roof.  Like way too high.  And I didn't take my P+7 HCG before the blood draw.  Estradiol was 57 (goal >12; my previous high: 53), and progesterone was 96 (goal >13; my previous high: 73).  96!!  Yikes!  Dr. K was on vacation for that cycle review, so I had a substitute doctor review my chart.  He said to try P+3 HCG for one more cycle and see what the next P+7 values were before changing anything.  But the third cycle without TEBB looked good otherwise, so effective cycle count is at 2.  Or maybe it's back to 1 because of the premenstrual spotting the cycle prior?  Not sure if the effective cycles have to be consecutive...

2.  Now I'm in the fourth cycle in a row without TEBB.  Am I dreaming?  Is this possible?  :)  I love it!  But this cycle won't count as an effective cycle either, and it's not even over yet.  Why?  I had three days of random brown spotting around the time my mucus started.  On two of those days it lasted all day.  Gross.  Disappointing.  And bizarre—the brown showed up days after my period ended.  I'm hoping it's not a sign my endo is back.  Looking back on old charts, I noticed that, for the most part, I would have the occasional mid-cycle spotting about every three months or so...prior to my first surgery for endo.  After surgery?  Spotting disappeared for a long time.  It reappeared about when my pain returned 15 months later.  Again after my second endo surgery I had very rare mid-cycle spotting.  It's becoming a little more frequent lately.  I might have had a little pain during my last period, but it happened so fast that I really wasn't paying attention to see how bad it was.  I hope that I imagined it.  I really don't want my endo to be back.  :(

3.  My vitamin D is much better.  In May when I had it tested during my endocrinologist visit it was 79, a significant improvement from 39 last November.  I've been taking 8000 IU of liquid vitamin D daily since November, and I'm glad it's helping.

4.  Oh, and speaking of the blood work the endocrinologist ordered...  I called her office and asked the nurse to send me copies of all the results.  When I received them in the mail, I was rather surprised.  I wish I would have looked more closely at the order sheet that I dutifully carried from the exam room to the lab after finishing the appointment.  You will never guess what additional test she ordered without telling me?  A pregnancy test!!!  Ugh!!!  Talk about sneaking behind a patient's back.  :P  That day was CD6, and AF was completely normal (including a heavy day and a moderate day), so I had zero reason to think I was pregnant.  Did she ask me if it was a normal period?  No.  Charting didn't even come up.  I probably even had my chart with me.  (Gotta be prepared!)  ;)  So now in the time we've been TTC, I've had three blood pregnancy tests done, all three of which I was 110% confident would have been negative.  The first two were prior to each surgery...I understand they want to be extra careful so they check anyway.  I really hope I don't have to do any more fake blood pregnancy tests.

5.  And in completely unrelated news, there was an article floating around Facebook about the unhealthy things used to make disposable menstrual pads, which led me to search out more on the topic.  I wonder if any of those chemicals in the pads have a hand in the development or regrowth of endo...?  Even if they don't, all those chemicals near such a vascular area can't be a good thing.  The pads I buy are just the mainstream brands, nothing organic.  I mentioned a while ago that I haven't used tampons since my second surgery a year and a half ago because I heard stories from a couple ladies that their TEBB stayed away after ditching tampons.  While using only pads didn't make my TEBB go away, I didn't want to make things worse if I could help it so I have continued avoiding tampons.  I have noticed my periods are lighter (the heaviest days are not nearly so heavy) than when I used tampons, so that is a welcome change.  I have heard others make that observation as well.

Someone commented on the article that she makes her own cloth pads.  I was immediately intrigued.  If you had suggested cloth pads to me last year, I probably would have been like, "Eww.  No way."  I'm not sure what changed, but the idea sounds great to me now.  (DH's first reaction was, "Eww.  I am NOT washing those.")  I've searched a bit for fabrics online but I haven't decided on anything yet.  I do know I want organic fabric.  Cotton flannel or bamboo?  That is the question!  If I'm going to make pads to avoid the chemicals in the disposable ones, I'm going to go all out on these and make sure there are no chemicals.  I'm also debating between all white pads (boring but no dyes) vs. super cute patterns and colors.  I haven't found anything that says dyes are bad, and I do love cute things so I might be leaning that way...  Anyone else use cloth pads?

6. One of my favorite hobbies is sewing.  When I sew something for the first time, I usually create a Word document with step by step instructions and pictures on how to make it so I can use it for future projects.  For a change of pace, I've sometimes considered posting little sewing tutorials here on my blog for the different projects I've done, but I always decided against it because they were mostly baby-related gifts (burp cloths, breastfeeding wrap, etc.) and didn't really seem to fit on an IF blog.  I know all IFers have fertile friends and family that they might want to sew for, but I just decided not to post them.  A cloth pad tutorial would be much more appropriate for an IF blog, now wouldn't it?  ;)

6 comments:

  1. Okay, I get being careful...but really...women have been using the disposable pads forever and I've never heard of the problems mentioned above...I've done Napro and that was never brought up...I think endo is something some women get...I'm one of the "lucky" ones too. If you change often and keep clean...I think that helps. There is some kind of cup available too...and some women have gotten pg soon after switching to this cup...which there is always a woman out there who got pg doing A.B.C. I guess I'm skeptical. I personally couldn't use a cloth pad since I'm out and about most of the day and I'm not going to try to carry bags of dirty cloths around with me. Would this be something you would only use at home?

    Those pg tests before surgery is a waste of good money too...I get that they have to be careful but I told the nurse that I just finished a period and she still tested me...really? I would call about that pg test that the dr did and did not inform you....I would question her motive especially after you showed her your chart. There was no reason and you shouldn't have to pay for that test....this is why our insurance costs are skyrocketing..too many frivolous tests being done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up not having disposable pads and it was AWEFUL! I can not tell you how much I love disposable. Those cloth ones always leak, they are so, so unreliable, and once you try to wash them, you realize you can never get them a 100% clean. NEVER! The stains are always there, no matter what you do to them. I did find a spot treatment for blood here in the States that works really well, but it's more chemicals that I personally wouldn't want to apply to a pad I am going to use in such an intimate area. It works great for unexpected nose bleeds, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how you do it. 4 years and still tweaking! That's amazing. You're a strong woman! I suppose one day at a time is how we all get through. But, wow! Your'e a rockstar!

    I have a friend who uses cloth pads and loves them! If you're up for the challenge, I say go for it! And then let us all know how it goes. :) I'd LOVE to see a sewing tutorial about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow you've definitely had to deal with your share of cycle craziness Through all of this. weve bern a break with napro treament for the last year, sometimes its tough to not be doing anything but i dont miss the HCG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. URG!!! I wish you weren't dealing with crazy cycles and everything was fixed. Permanently. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. You definitely are wonderful at sewing and God bless you for making such beautiful baby related gifts even when your heart aches.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)