page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Monday, July 29, 2013

Culture attempt #2

We did a second seminal fluid collection while at my parents' house.  Awkward.  I managed to slip out with the sample under the guise of "I'm going shopping" (which was also true).  DH didn't come along when I dropped off the sample.

I don't know if the "you must get the sample to the lab within 30 minutes of collection" requirement applies when you're only getting a culture done (no sperm counts this time), but I did manage to get to the lab within 30 minutes.  Yay.  One less thing to worry about.  When I arrived at the lab, I handed the technician the order from Dr. K.  He stared at it for a while and then left to ask someone if they could do the culture.  I told him I had already confirmed by phone that their lab could do it.  He returned and said it could be done, but his tone left me questioning whether it would be done correctly.

I just heard back from a PPVI nurse.  The lab did do the culture!  And they found a new bug!  It's probably not good to be excited that DH and I have a bacterial infection, but I'm relieved that they were able to identify the bacteria (enterococcus), and it's something that is treatable.  DH will be taking three weeks of moxifloxacin, and I will be taking three weeks of ampicillin.  I can't take the moxifloxacin (it can't be taken while trying to conceive), and DH has to take the moxifloxacin because it penetrates the prostate where this bug is hiding out.  The nurse said taking ampicillin would prevent the bacteria from being passed back to me.  So we'll be starting those soon...hopefully this week.  I hope this treatment works!

6 comments:

  1. Good luck! I will be praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is great to have more answers, since without answers it's hard to feel like you're really dong anything to fix the problem. I'll be praying for the antibiotics to work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is odd to be excited for you that you've found this, but yay! Sending lots of prayers your way. And I'm also giving thanks that the treatment can be oral antibiotics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow good job doing another SFA! And at your parents' house no less! I pray this treatment works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying that those buggers are gone quick!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Answers, especially treatable ones, are better than no answers!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)