page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Meltdown

It was the adult version of toddler behavior. It was not pretty. If there had been stomping of the feet, I would have called it a tantrum. Just in case I ever gave the impression that I have this IF thing under control, the following episode should burst that little bubble.

It started off like any other normal day. I was in a good mood. “Fertility” had begun the day before. (I put it in quotes because my body has yet to prove it’s fertile when my chart says it should be fertile.) ;) We were off to a good start for the cycle, TTC-wise. There were plans to continue the TTC efforts at bedtime.

But first, we were meeting up with some acquaintances in the evening. One of the attendees was pregnant. It’s very early in her pregnancy, and she hasn’t told everyone (my DH doesn’t know), but I know she has told a lot of people. She’s a sweet girl. She doesn’t know about our IF, but she’s never said anything remotely insensitive or even asked why we don’t have kids. She has never been anything except super nice to me. But seeing her now reminds me that there’s a thorn in my side. I see her about every week or so. (Up until now I've been pretty much isolated from encounters with pregnant women or women with babies on a regular basis, other than seeing them occasionally--and from a distance--at Mass or at the mall.) Now all I can think of when I see her is some variation of, “She’s pregnant. We’re IF. IF hurts.” I’m trying not to be envious, but usually there’s at least a healthy dose of jealousy when I see her. (Envy=sorrow at another’s good or wishing another didn’t have her good; jealousy=I wish I had that particular good. Big difference.)

Anyway, I didn’t talk with her much that night, but just sitting near her really started to stir up some ugly feelings. I could feel the tension and anger building up inside me. At the end of the evening DH and I walked back to the car. The minute we shut the car doors, I exploded.

Normally I have some sort of filter for my brain, but not then. I said every single negative thing I was thinking. Most of it amounted to "It's not fair that we have such a heavy cross (IF and DH's lack of job)." I tried to ignore the small voice of reason in my head that countered each and every negative thing I said. I know it's really not a good idea to compare crosses, but I did anyway. I named a few things that would be worse than IF and declared that everyone who didn't have to face those things had a much easier life than us and it wasn't fair. DH tried to tell me that we don't know what hidden crosses others face or what difficult suffering might lie in their future, but I wouldn't hear any of it. It's not like God (in His permissive will) makes sure everyone gets equal doses of suffering; it's quite obvious to me some people get more than their "fair share."

I was angry and half crying. It was all because I hate infertility, and it hurts so much. It really had nothing to do with the pregnant girl. She was (figuratively) in the wrong place at the wrong time. I guess anything could have set me off? I was surprised that I went from 0 to 60 on the anger scale so quickly given that I should be ovulating soon. This reaction would be more understandable and expected during PMS time, but near the beginning of the mucus cycle?

By the time we got home, I had run out of angry rant and just sobbed on DH's shoulder...half the tears were because IF is so painful and the other half were because I felt awful for my angry outburst...embarrassed, ashamed, disappointed in myself, etc. Needless to say, all this ruined any TTC attempts for the rest of the evening. DH is on his way to sainthood based on how he handled my meltdown. I know as his wife I'm supposed to be helping him get to heaven, but I'm not sure this type of behavior (on my part) is the ideal way to get him there... ;)

I hope this doesn’t turn into a PTSD-esque reaction. 1. See pregnant woman acquaintance. 2. Feel emotions begin to boil while in the same room. 3. Enter into a fit of rage after having the privacy of the car.

Of course things looked much brighter in the morning, and I couldn't figure out why I overreacted so much. I'm really looking forward to the infertility retreat this weekend that Rebecca is organizing. It really couldn't come at a better time. A fresh perspective on infertility, fellowship with others carrying the same cross, and some sacramental grace are just what I need.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my this was me a couple nights ago. I was sobbing at anything and everything, no matter how far along I think I have come woth IF there is always a humbling experience right around the corner. I am so jealous that you get to go on that retreat! I will be praying for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was me yesterday! I had two people come to me telling me to have more faith, to relax and they gave me many stories how it worked for everyone "else"... I got home and lost it. I wish I was everyone else. I want to have more faith... I pray that it is God's will for DM and I to be parents...

    Hang in there! We are sending giant hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have all been there! Sometimes it just hits you harder than other times. I'm praying for you and all the ladies making the retreat this weekend! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am right there with you. It pops up and there is no stopping it once it starts. But, it really is good to get it out when you do. Thankfully you were with the one person who knows what you are dealing with first hand and is so supportive of you, your hubs. Prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been known to throw some pretty good tantrums myself. I don't know why things get set off like that, but I know that just about when I think things are going pretty well, it can all hit the fan in a moment. Praying for you, and so glad that you get to go on the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so hard sometimes =( I've been there too. Some days it feels like I can handle everything - the next day, everything is hard. My therapist recommended really taking time to "feel the feelings" because I am too quick to try to push them away and then think I'm "over it." I'm learning to really feel the sadness, feel the anger, feel the heartache, which are all okay because it really is sad to be infertile. But it's hard when I feel strong feelings at a time where I can't "feel" them...like being out with friends, like you described.

    And on a related note, I feel very emotional mid-cycle! The hormone shift does crazy things...for me, even more than right before CD1.

    I hope the retreat is great! I know it will be! I soooo wanted to go but have a work obligation =(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I have so been there! (My worst one was right after Mass one Sunday, lovely, right?)

    The peak days are almost always worse than CD1 - the pressure, the hormone changes, the hope, all of it is just. so. much.

    Sending prayers your way! Safe travels, can't wait to see you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are not alone! And just pure emotions aren't sinful. They are what they are. And IF is painful. I am sorry you had such an awful night. :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have thrown some Oscar-worthy tantrums and I'm sure that there will be others in the future. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've also melted down to DH. Actually, I've lost count how many times. Which is great for DH's sainthood. :-)
    It is just so.hard.to.deal with people who are pregnant when you have never been. I am still that way. I don't know that it will change.
    Hugs and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)