page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Friday, February 22, 2013

Surgeon follow up

I had a phone appointment with Dr. E today. Normally it's an in-person visit but since I'm a long-distance patient, she wasn't going to make me drive all that way. I did have to e-mail her pictures of my five incisions so she could see how they're healing.

She reviewed the surgery results with me. She said the lactobacillus found on culture was likely a contaminant from the vagina, so my aerobic bacteria culture was essentially negative. The Gram positive rods on the anaerobic culture were not a contaminant and will have to be treated. She said drugs of choice would be Flagyl or Clindamycin. DH and I have been on Flagyl before, and it didn't help my TEBB. It was the IV Clindamycin that eliminated my TEBB for one cycle last summer, but Dr. E pointed out that DH wasn't treated which probably explains the return of TEBB. I'm not sure that I want to do another IV for ten days, and DH definitely doesn't want to do it. I wonder if Dr. K would consider giving us oral Clindamycin, knowing that she doesn't normally prescribe it due to risk of C. difficile infection (very bad infection).

So the plan is to wait one more full cycle before TTC again so I can heal. We'll see what Dr. K's recommendations are in my next cycle review.

In other news, I took my last opioid yesterday, and I will resume the naltrexone tonight. DH is excited.

11 comments:

  1. ack, bummer that they thought that was just vaginal contamination. i was excited for you that they thought they found it :/ at least the gram positive has a definitive treatment but YIKES, Clindamycin?! I don't know if I've commented about that before but BE CAREFUL with that drug. About 2 years ago my MIL was on it and developed such a nasty infection that she had to have three surgeries to remove part of her colon and a colostomy bag. She very nearly died and apparently that is not uncommon after being on that antibiotic. It was truly terrifying. :( I hope you guys are able to find the safest treatment forward and I'm happy the pain is subsiding too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the risks with Clindamycin are scary. That's why they had me do the IV form last year--far less common to get C. diff than if taking it orally. I almost doubt Dr. K would even prescribe it orally from what they told me of her experience with previous patients on it. Dr. E on the other hand said her patients have done fine with the oral.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm. Sounds like you have much to ponder. I was super impressed with your willingness to do the IV the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second what Sarah said! (About doing the IV the first time) You are one strong lady!! Prayers for continued healing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish there was a "cause" that they found with the cultures. It is so darn frustrating that you may have to (both) do the IV again. I wish it were simpler for you & am praying.
    (PS - glad MM posted about the oral Clindamycin - I had no idea!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that is crazy. At least this new info backs up what you are saying about the IV getting rid of the TEBB once. If you are having trouble I would also rec that you stop using tampons if you still use them. WHen I stopped using them my TEBB went away.
    Thanks the for tip about the clindamycin my dh was just prescribed them for dental work and his dr did not mention that. THankfully from napro and my prior AB usage, I told him to take probiotics to be safe. Now I just told him what you said, and he agreed to take them more seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you continue to heal well, and that the naltrexone helps you feel like yourself again. I'm praying for you in your decision making, healing, and return to TTC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tough decisions with the antibiotics. I am glad you are on the mend, though.

    I've noticed a minor improvement in my TEBB, (less each day, and one day less overall) and I think it MIGHT be due to adding a probiotic to my regimen of supplements. That is the only thing I can think of that might have caused the improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Taking antibiotics in any form isn't fun at all!

    Continued prayers"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuck, Flagyl is so nasty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I second Ania! I hate flagyl! For what it's worth, I was on clindamycin orally and had no problems with c diff. I hope they find a workable solution for you!! I would not want 10 days of iv either :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)