Tomorrow I start ten days of IV antibiotics to hopefully eliminate my TEBB. I really, really hope this works.
It turned out to be a lot easier than expected to arrange everything, aside from the 12 or so phone calls. At first I was told by one of the nurses at PPVI that most states require an in-state provider to prescribe IV antibiotics. However, when the nurse called in the order to the home health care agency, the fact that Dr. K is out-of-state wasn't an issue at all. That was a nice surprise.
So tomorrow morning at 6 am I will go to the hospital to have the PICC line placed. That was the not-so-nice surprise. I thought I was just going to have a regular old IV, but the medicine is irritating to the vein, so they use a catheter to go deeper into the vein so it's less irritating. (At least that's how I understood their explanation.) I'm a little nervous about the procedure. I can handle IVs okay, but this sounds way more invasive. And they said I'll be there for two hours. DH is coming along for moral support and to drive me home in case I pass out. :)
Tomorrow afternoon the home health nurse comes to my home to start the medicine and show me what I need to do. Once everything is hooked up, my first priority will be to try to figure out a way to cover it all up so it's as discreet as possible when going out in public. Vain? No, I'm not vain. ;)
I tried not to Google all of this too much so I wouldn't cause more anxiety. Who knows what I'm getting myself into...








I don't think it's vain at all - I wouldn't want to answer the questions from people.
ReplyDeletePraying for you - that all goes well tomorrow and that these antibiotics get rid of the TEBB!
The IV was the only thing that got ridd of my premenstrual spotting, permanately. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteI had a PICC line. It really wasn't too bad at all. Hope the antibiotics do the trick for you!
ReplyDeletePraying for you! Not vain at all-might help all the questioning!
ReplyDeletePraying it goes well and there is no need for attempt #11!!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with this treatment!
ReplyDeletePPVI wants me to take antibiotics for the two days of TEBB I've had with each cycle. My local doc thinks it's a bit extreme, especially since all my cultures were negative in Omaha. Guess it's just another thing to cross off the list!
And no, you're not vain at all!
ReplyDeleteGood luck!! Do yourself and favor and do not go back in my archives to read about my botched mid-line catheter placement from the home health nurse... ;)
ReplyDeleteI am glad that the details came together rather smoothly for you! And I agree with PPIW, I hope attempt #11 is not needed. Keep us updated!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure by now your PICC line is placed, but I wanted to let you know my husband has had 2 or 3 placed since we've been married. They were giving him Vancomyacin at home for MRSA. The site is sore, but both times it went in without complications.
ReplyDeleteI think you may have to wear long sleeves or at least 3/4 length sleeves to cover it up. I'm with you...I wouldn't want people to see it. And no, its not vain! :)
I hope everything went well! :)
Email me if you have any questions! Mine was the same, except a mid line was placed at home. I had a great experience tCIE, so sorry!
ReplyDeletesorry I have been MIA from your blog- I am praying this works!!!
ReplyDeleteI am hoping this works!!! I need to figure out if I am doing this too. (((HUGS)))) I hope all is going well!!! (I'm catching up on posts, so if you have a newer one, you'll get a comment too. :-))
ReplyDelete