page html

 photo titlehome_zps68ff2d5e.png  photo titleIFarticles_zps04be05bb.png  photo titlelearnCrms_zpsafd2d58c.png  photo titletinysurgeon_zps302cf518.png  photo titletinyblessing_zpsb145b495.png  photo titleemail_zpsaea060a0.png  photo tiny twitter_zps6w5w81x0.png  photo tiny pinterest_zpsk3mumyap.png

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Can you put infertility on your resume?

Sometimes I feel like trying to find the cause of our infertility amounts to a part-time job...without a paycheck, of course.  ;)  I wonder if it could be used as an example during a job interview, say, as the answer to the question, "Describe your organizational skills."  I remember being asked that question during my last job interview...  You would think that the tasks we do routinely—calling the pharmacy to refill prescriptions, picking up prescriptions or arranging their shipment so they arrive in time for the appropriate cycle day, finding a lab who will work with us, coordinating with the doctor's office to have the latest order faxed to that lab, scheduling appointments and lab draws around my work schedule, calling the insurance company to confirm coverage, staying on top of medical bills—should count for something, right?  You could imagine what a description for a resume might look like...coordinated logistics, managed inventory, liaised with health care professionals... Maybe someone who's more creative than me could write up a pretend resume entry.  ;)

This week my assignment was to prepare for a SFA.  This will be our first one.  I knew it would have to be done at some point, but I'm still not really looking forward to it.  I am a bit surprised it wasn't suggested sooner; however, my chart had definite issues that would have been addressed regardless.  Technically, my non-NaPro ob/gyn did mention SFA back when we had only been TTC for 8 months or so (but it was too soon to order it at that point, in his opinion).  He knew we were Catholic, so we had this little discussion about our theoretical infertility testing:

Doc: One of the first things I would want to do is get a SFA.  Would that be a problem?
Me:  No, of course not.  I'll just order a kit.  [to collect SF in a licit manner]
Doc:  Hmmm.  I thought you'd say that.  The lab here really doesn't like it when samples are obtained that way.  *sigh*  But it's going to have to do.  Okay, that's what we'll do.

Anyway...so this week I called the PPVI Institute to order the SF collection kit.  (Side note:  Anyone can order one from the Institute; you don't have to be a patient of theirs, and you don't need your doctor to send them anything.)  Next I had to find a local lab that would do the analysis.  I figured it would be easy, right?  I just needed to confirm the location of where to drop off the sample and when they open in the morning, and we'd be all set.  Well, not exactly.  I started by calling the hospital lab number.  The woman was nice and said they don't handle SFA there, but she would transfer me to woman #2 in the hospital who could help me.  Here's the conversation with woman #2:

Me:  Hi, my husband needs to have a se.minal fluid analysis done.  Are you the person to speak with about that?
Her:  You need an analysis...of what?
Me:  sem..in..al flu..id (spoken slowly and enunciated as clearly as I could)
Her:  Ummm.  I'm sorry.  I don't know what that is.
(*short pause*)
I was about ready to say, "Well, it's the fluid produced when..."

Her:  Just one moment, please.

She put me on hold and returned about a minute later.  Thank goodness someone in her office knew what SF was so I didn't have to explain it.  :)

Her:  You're going to have to call clinic XYZ about that.  We don't handle it here at the hospital.
Me:  Do you have that clinic's number?
Her:  No, sorry.

I pulled out the phone book and called clinic XYZ.  I explained that we would be bringing the sample into the clinic, which the receptionist seemed to understand.  She said it had to arrive within 30-45 minutes.  (I had heard less time than that so we'll try to err on the shorter end of that range.)  Okay, no problem, I thought—just tell me where to drop it off and your hours...  Not so fast.  She said DH needs an appointment with the nurse who will talk to him and then send the sample to the lab.  Those appointments are only available two days a week.  So now instead of just hurrying to get the sample to the clinic within about 30 minutes of its collection, we will have to time things (aka "sample collection") more precisely so we arrive at the clinic at an appointed time, which also happens to be within the appropriate window of time so the sample is still usable.  Do you see the (small?) dilemma here?  This seems like a lot of pressure on DH.  He handled the news about these new logistics remarkably well, given the extra constraints.  I didn't make the appointment yet.  I think it will probably be after my surgery so we can do it post-peak, which is my preference.

Speaking of my surgery...I didn't know what needs to be done ahead of time in terms of informing my insurance company about it, so I called the hospital where the surgery will take place.  They said my doctor's office should have already sent the surgery info to my insurance company, but I should call them to confirm that.  So I did.  They had no knowledge of the upcoming surgery but they said because it's an outpatient procedure, a pre-authorization isn't required.  To any of you who have had a laparoscopy before, does this sound right?  My pre-op appointment is next week, so I'll ask again then.

6 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!!! Could things be more complicated? Wow, you guys are gonna be saints at the end of all this! (And parents, God willing!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have IF on my resume!! Haha, I really do! In "Personal" on the bottom, I have my singing group and "Founder Catholic Infertility Support Group, Diocese of Metuchen." Hehehe ;)

    Then again, having "empathy" for imfertility kinda works in my profession, but not in all.

    Ugh, the SFAs :( I never want to have to re-live those, I do not envy you.
    GL with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a SFA done last June, and the sample had to be brought there within an hour. Luckily, DH was normal :)

    That's so funny that the woman didn't know what SF is!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - my insurance was the same way - for my laparoscopy I didn't need pre-auth, for my laparotomy I did. Hope this helps!

    I COMPLETELY AGREE about IF stuff being a part-time job! Charting, taking temps, taking meds, calling the dr, etc etc...it really is a job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've done two SFA's the Catholic way and it is pretty stressful! The lab is way across town and both times Mr JB was so stressed about getting the sample there on time. He was so worried the last time that he forgot the doctor's requisition which caused a ton of problems and he had to go back a second time, although they took his sample even though they weren't supposed to.

    IF is a job! I am so lucky that I can get time off fairly easily and I have an understanding principal. If I counted the hours I spent on all things IF it would be astounding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for your post! A SFA is the next thing on our agenda, and I feel quite stressed about the whole thing since we'll also be doing it the "Catholic way." Why does it have to be so hard to do things the right way? Anyway, I didn't know that you could order the kit from the Institute without a script, so that was awesome information! Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. :)